We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

do you know of non tourist traps?

richmond
Level Contributor
169 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
do you know of non tourist traps?

We'll be heading to Lancaster possibly next week. I'm looking for "off the beaten path" kind of shops that carry true Amish items instead of the usual touristy stuff. I think we will stay at the AMISHVIEW INN. Has anyone stayed there? Any preferences on the different buggy ride companies? Thanks

Debbie

New Jersey
Level Contributor
81 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: do you know of non tourist traps?

Debbie, My family of 5 with three kids have been visiting amish country for 15 years. Some places you will have to go-Dienner's Restaurant is on rt 30 next to the big yellow dutch windmill. They don't advertise and go at least a half hour before your really hungry-long waits sometimes but you get a pager. Stolfuz Farm in intercourse is also very good-Farmlike setting. Most of the Amish items are all the same everywhere, unless you drive off the main roads you will find some family farms with signs stating they sell certain types of crafts and homemade treats. Kitchen Kettle is very touristy, but there are a few shops around the corner from there that sell nice things-sorry can't remember the names. The buggy ride we like leaves from the Amish Barn hotel on Rt 340 (Look for the covered red bridge. The tours stops at 1 amish farm where you can buy amish things-kind of a back road tour.

long island, new...
Level Contributor
46 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: do you know of non tourist traps?

Debbie, the Amish View is a beautiful property with various ammenities and it comes with a pretty heafty room rate. If you are looking for something with a little more country flair you might want to look into the Country Living Inn furthur west on rt 340.No Pool or dining facilities but the property is so quaint, like a larger bed and breakfast at a reasonable rate. This place has to be the cleanest hotel i have seen in a long time. The front desk staff is amazing.

Rockers on the front porch so you can watch the amish buggies go by. Its just so peaceful

Try it

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
452 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: do you know of non tourist traps?

As mentioned almost all of the the shops are going to be touristy. Exploring the back roads is your best bet as you will find the road side stands selling crafts, furniture, etc.

A great non-tourist restaurant is Yoders in New Holland. You can order off the menu or buffet. The food is excellent and many locals eat there. I don't think many tourists know about it.

Sellersville, PA
Level Contributor
161 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: do you know of non tourist traps?

We also enjoy Diener's and Yoder's Restaurants, and I would agree that they are not as frequently visited by tourists, but have good, Pennsylvania Dutch, homecooked food at reasonable prices. I would also recommend stopping at the Mennonite Information Center directly across route 30 from Dutch Wonderland (near the Starbucks). They can help connect you to Amish woodworking shops, quilt shops, or bakeries--whatever are your interests. They recently recommended a bakery to me that I had never heard of run by plain people. It is called Bird-in-Hand Bakery, and is located at 542 Gibbons Road near Bird-in-Hand. Take route 340 east from Lancaster to Beechdale Road. Make a left and go to Gibbons Road, where you make a right. Watch for the bakery next to a schoolhouse. They also have a nice gift shop.

richmond
Level Contributor
169 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: do you know of non tourist traps?

Thanks everyone for your help! We'll be leaving tomorrow ( Tuesday ) and are really looking forward to it. We'll definately check out the "back road stands and the Mennonite Center". Thanks a bunch!