We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My Mom's 80th B-day Bucket List Wish Quilts & Amish Country

Vancouver, Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
My Mom's 80th B-day Bucket List Wish Quilts & Amish Country

My Mom just celebrated her 80th b-day. We will be coming from Vancouver, BC Canada. Had originally looked at a formal tour company, but there were too many things that would be too much for her - too much walking, etc. Have decided to fly into Harrisburgh, rent a car and do our own trip . . . is this a good idea - better suggestions??? One thing that was on the tour that I'm not sure I would be able to arrange on my own would be for her to be part of an Amish quilting bee. Quilting has been her life long hobby . . . and her grandparents are of old Mennonite roots . . . have also been reading hotel reviews - am not sure she would be comfortable in someone's home, although I love the B & B experience. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Over the Rainbow
Level Contributor
404 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My Mom's 80th B-day Bucket List Wish Quilts & Amish Country

When will you be traveling? If it's the 2nd week in March, the American Quilter's Society will be having their Show and Contest in Lancaster. Your mom might really enjoy that. I believe the dates are th 14th thru the 17th.

Vancouver, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: My Mom's 80th B-day Bucket List Wish Quilts & Amish Country

Thanks - I had seen that . . . we are actually going to be there Apr. 10 - 19

PA, USA
Level Contributor
376 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My Mom's 80th B-day Bucket List Wish Quilts & Amish Country

there is a shuttle flight (via cape air) from baltimore, md to lancaster. you could rent a car right at the airport, and skip the commute from harrisburg, which can be less than pleasant on weekdays, particularly rush hour.

i don't know how it would price out vs. a flight to harrisburg, nor do i know if it would save you any time, overall, but it might be worth checking out - ?

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,787 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My Mom's 80th B-day Bucket List Wish Quilts & Amish Country

To get back to your original request, I am not aware of any 'Amish Quilting bee" that outsiders can particippate in.

The closest thing that matches your dates would be the Mennonite relief sale in Harrisburg at the Farm show on the evening of April 13th and the morning and Afternoon of April 14ht. Around 400 quilts are auctioned for charity. All are made by various Mennonite churches. We go every year. Don't expect to see more than a few Amish at the sale though.

Go to the website at pareliefsale.org to learn more.

Note that the sale usually wraps up by 3pm, so if you are flying in to Harrisburg airport on the afternoon of the 14th you will miss it

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,787 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My Mom's 80th B-day Bucket List Wish Quilts & Amish Country

Just noticed that I misread your dates. You come April 10th so could easily go to the relief sale.

Acouple notes. Friday nite is much less crowded than Saturday. Consequently the auction that night tends to feature the less elaborate comforters and smaller quilts. You can preview all the quilts,which are hung from lines in a preview section. We usually preview Friday night.

There is adequate seating at the quilt auction and Country auction, although at the quilt auction the best seats must be reserved for a small fee.

There is also normally plenty of seating, at tables in the food sale area. I therefore believe your Mom could eaasily find a place to sit if she was tired out.

If you do go Saturday, go early.Breakfast is served at the auction.

Finally, there is a demonstration quilt, that is worked on during the auction. I believe (but am not sure) that your Mom may be able to join in quilting this.

You might wish to call the Auction coordinator at 267-354-1442 to learn more.

Edited: 06 February 2012, 13:50
Southeast PA
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: My Mom's 80th B-day Bucket List Wish Quilts & Amish Country

check vrbo.com for lodging alternatives...

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My Mom's 80th B-day Bucket List Wish Quilts & Amish Country

If you are tentative about the b and b for mom, just call each of the homes you would be interested in...several have ground floor rooms which may be appropriate.

Contact one of the Mennonite Visitors Centers and they might be able to tell you where your mom can participate in a quilting be...or at least watch. Most are conducted in PA Deutch and are an opportunity for local women to gather and catch up a bit.

If you have an interest in purchasing a quilt, there are two farm houses, one on North and the other on South Groffdale Roads (Leola, PA?) that have magnificent local Amish quilts.

Vancouver, Canada
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My Mom's 80th B-day Bucket List Wish Quilts & Amish Country

Thank you for all your input . . . Mom is now becoming quite excited about our trip and we will certainly use the valuable info posted by all of you! I am so happy to be able to do this with her!

9. Re: My Mom's 80th B-day Bucket List Wish Quilts & Amish Country

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2013, 10:20