We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bus or train from New York City

new york, ny
Level Contributor
456 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
bus or train from New York City

I am considering going to the American Music Theater in Lancaster from New York City. I would prefer not to drive. Is it possible to get there by train or bus? If so, do you have links so I can check schedules?

Elizabethtown...
Level Contributor
986 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bus or train from New York City

We always take the Amtrak train when we visit NYC. However, you need to know that the Lancaster train station is close to downtown Lancaster, but the American Music Theater is not. Unfortunately, taxi service in Lancaster is notoriously unreliable. Red Rose Transit (our local bus service) does travel from downtown to Rockvale Outlets (across the street from AMT). That would really be your only way without a car. Here is the schedule for that bus:

redrosetransit.com/downloads/Route_14_-_8-29…

This wouldn't be my first choice for a show that lasts a couple hours. Do you plan on speeding the night in the area? Where?

New York
Level Contributor
386 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bus or train from New York City

I have taken a bus from Port Authority. I got tickets from www.gotobus.com. The bus cost about $45 each way. It was run by Beiber or some such firm.

staten island new...
Level Contributor
39 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bus or train from New York City

wondering if anyone knows what buses go to lancaster.from nyc . my brother would like to see amish country area Bird In Hand etc ...would the bus stop be far from those areas? Is there a local bus that you can take to those areas? I've been there several times by car, however getting there seems to be a project by bus... Any suggestions?

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,685 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bus or train from New York City

I don't think your plan is workable.

You would have to take Amtrak into Lancaster(or get a Bieber bus to Lancaster from the Port Authority) but either way you are in Lancaster city. You would then have to take a local bus to the Red Rose Transit staionand from there a bus as the four skis describes in her post . Even that however would not put you in the farms but rather in shopping areas-and note that the tourist shopping areas are spread out for miles-you cannot walk to the various tourist attractions.

The local bus system is not set up to serve tourists. Its for local without a car, and therefore goes to places they would likely go- shopping centers, hospitals etc.

You really need a car to tour the Amish-Pa Dutch area.

Edited: 17 March 2013, 20:03
5. Re: bus or train from New York City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2014, 05:15