We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Logistics

Which Lancaster hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Logistics

We are so excited to be visiting Lancaster for the first time this weekend and I have a "tentative" plan for each day. I was wondering if anyone could help me with the logistics of our plan, especially for Saturday. Having never been to the area before I have no idea how far things are from each other and assuming we want to try to do everything on the list...what "order" makes most sense. We're flexible but like to see and do as much as possible in the short time we are going to be there. By the way, we are staying at the Fulton Steamboat Inn. So here goes...

Friday..arrive around dinner time and eat at Deinners

Saturday...

…Guided tour of an Amish House @ Amish Village

…(Aaron and Jessica’s) Buggy Ride

…Wilbur Chocolates (I know this is a bit out of the way)

…National Toy Train Museum

…Strasbord Rail Road

…Railroad Museum of PA

…Dinner at Miller’s Smorgasboard (Reservations at 5:15 PM)

…Jonas at Sight and Sound Theater (we have tickets already)

Sunday...

…Wolf Sanctuary (12 sharp tour)

…Science Museum

…Mini Golf (Village Greens)

…Dinner at Texas Roadhouse (my kids love it there)

Monday....

....Hershey Park for the day

Thanks in advance!

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Logistics

How old are your kids? if they are under 10 I would substitute Choo Choo Barn for Toy Train. Toy train has many fewer running trains, you are mostly looking at old trains displayed in exhibits.

Also, if you are going to Lititz, I would consider Julius Sturgis Pretzel House as well. I think you will find your stay at Wilbur Chocolates to be very short. The 'museum' is not very extensive, although their chocolate products are excellant.

It is a shame that your wolf sanctuary tour is Sunday (when Wilbur and Julius Strugis are closed) since it is in the same area, and would cut down travel time.

My best guess for the trip to Litiz from Aaron and Jessica's would be about 40-45 minutes, although if traffic is bad on Route 340 it could take longer

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Logistics

If you can shift your wolf tour to Saturday (I realize this may not be possible this late) you could do the Railroad attractions in Strasburg Sunday (they are all open). This would also tie in well with playing mini-golf at Village Greens, which is just on the other side of Strasburg

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
216 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Logistics

From bird in hand where you will be taking the buggy ride to Lititz for wilbur chocolates should be at maximum a half hour drive if you take Pa 772 and avoid old philly pike and lititz pike

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Logistics

Thats probably true, however, unless they cut cross country, they would have to go east to Intercourse on route 340 to reach 772. Traffic can be heavy from Bird In Hand to Intercourse .

772 itself is a beautiful scenic drive, through Amish farms as far north as Brownstown and then through more modern, mostly Mennonite farms to Lititz..

NY
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Logistics

Please be aware that Dienners closes at 7 on Fridays. Also, I would go to Oregon Dairy before Millers.. Just my opinion, but better food.

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Logistics

Mittmot, according to their website Dienners is open until 8 on Friday- It's their late night.

As you know, I share your high opinion of Oregon Dairy, which will also be cheaper than Millers. However, there might be two reasons the poster prefers Millers

1. It will be closer to Strasburg, and they have a hectic schedule Saturday.

2. Millers has a much larger and fancier buffet than Oregon Dairy (although it is much less Pa Dutch).

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,372 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Logistics

ohm, that's an ambitious shedule! Allow for traffic....

My singular suggestion would be to reconsider the Wilbur museum. Lititz is a charming town with lots to offer, but perhaps not worth the drive if just to visit Wilbur. As brookquarry said, with kids the Sturgis Pretzel House is often a hit, but wondering if the Wilbur museum would hold their interest. If you want to buy their products they are available elsewhere.

Since you will be at HersheyPark on Monday, the kids can learn how chocolate is made there in an amusement-type ride at Chocolate World (and it's free!). They now have interactive stuff for kids afterwards (make your own custom candy bar, etc.)...WAY more kid oriented than Wilbur.

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
216 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Logistics

Yes 772 is a great scenic drive one of the reasons I recommended it and according to their itinerary if they are going to Lititz from Aaron and Jessica’s Buggy Ride then can take North Harvest road which is right next to Aaron and Jessica’s maybe a mile north which leads right into 772.

NY
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Logistics

Hi Brookquarry, my mistake I meant 8... You are right about logistics being closer to strasburg, and yes they have a much bigger buffet, but I don't think the food can be compared, and they also have an extensive menu at oregon dairy

10. Re: Logistics

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 10:41