We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Science Factory

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,830 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
Science Factory

Anyone been? The web site says it is suitable for ages 7-13...what do you think for a 5 year old?

Elizabethtown...
Level Contributor
986 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Science Factory

Yes, I think a 5 y.o. would definitely enjoy it. It is a large open space with various stations to do hands on science (primarily physics based) activities or solve puzzles. Some people take toddlers, but I think they are too young to get anything out of it, but a 5 y.o. has the motor skills and curiosity and will probably just need help with completing some of the tasks. Honestly, my 12 y.o. enjoys it, but is done with it fairly quickly. He's almost too old. I would say the best ages are 6-11, thus firmly in elementary school, but even I like to go around and play at some of the stations. ;)

A 5 y.o. would also still enjoy the Hands-on-House which is geared to toddler to pre-school ages. My kids enjoyed many years of going there. It has a dress up area, farm area, face painting area, etc. A good way to kill a couple hours on a rainy day like today. http://www.handsonhouse.org/exhibits/

Edited: 07 June 2013, 15:59
Elizabethtown...
Level Contributor
986 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Science Factory

Looking at the H-o-H website, I see that it says 2-10. My 10 y.o. would have no interest in going there, I don't think. Maybe because we've been there so often that they've done it all, but my kids were done with that place by 8 if not earlier.

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,830 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Science Factory

Thanks, I am taking my Grandson for two days (this Monday and Tuesday). We plan on the Strasburg Railroad and Verdant Farm but searching the internet I'm finding so many other things...

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,651 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Science Factory

Your grandson is the perfect age for Dutch Wonderland

I assume you are also aware of the other kid-friendly Railroad atttractions in Strasburg, such as the Railroad Musuem of Pennsylvania and Choo Choo Barn.

Cherry Crest Adventure Farm also has a good amount of activities for young kids. Their corn maze is not open yeat, but he would be too young for that.

He mighrt also enjoy a fresh soft pretzel at Countryside Road stand along with buying food for their goats.

Edited: 07 June 2013, 21:15
Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,830 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Science Factory

Thanks brookquarry, We are going to pass on Dutch Wonderland since we live at the Jersey Shore and near Six Flags so he frequently gets to enjoy amusement rides.

Was interested in Cherry Crest Farm but it isn't open the days we will be there.

Choo Choo Barn is on my possibilities list. I'll check out Countryside Road Stand.

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,651 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Science Factory

Another place you both might enjoy would be Lapp Valley Farms Ice Cream, on Mentzer Road South of New Holland

Although they have a stand at kitchen Kettle Village, where you can buy their delicious ice cream, a trip to the shop on their farm would be worthwhile.

Kids usally enjoy eating on their deck, petting the two bulldogs and numerous cats.

You are also allowed to tour the(very clean) dairy farm. and watch milking done at 4:30 every afternoon.

I was there three weeks ago and, as you would expect, there were a number of young calves. All cows are Jerseys (the breed with the highest butterfat content in their milk), which is a nice change from the black and white Holsteins you see in almost all pastures.

Edited: 08 June 2013, 12:53
7. Re: Science Factory

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 June 2014, 06:16