We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip

Wales
Level Contributor
303 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Road Trip

We will be travelling from Philadelipia and stopping for 2 nights before drivng to Erie. What should we make as our pioroity to see. So only really have 1 1/2 days in Lancaster.

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,720 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Trip

Look at the tourist website www.padutchcountry.com to get ideas of what is available. You will need to focus on what interests you most Learning more about the Amish? shopping for quilts and crafts? Farmers markets? The train attractions of Strasburg? Family attactions(if you have kids)? The various historic sites? Shopping at outlet centers?

Wales
Level Contributor
303 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Trip

Thanks for that.

We are intrested in the Amish and the quilts and crafts and also the farmers markets. I think as normaly I am trying to fit so much in with so little time.

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,720 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road Trip

Well hopefully you are not coming Sunday, when it is much more difficult to interact with the Amish.

The tour I reccomend, since you have a car is the Mennonite Information Center tour, where a Mennonite guide rides in your car guiding you on the backroads for two hours or more, with up to three stops at Amish owned businesses(you have some ability to select stops). www.mennoniteinfoctr.com Not offered Sundays. The center also has a good slide show presentation about the Amish.

Look at the many quilt shops on the tourist website I gave you and see what appeals. You should focus on the Intercourse/ Bird In Hand areas. Ones we especaillyt like are Riehls, on East Eby Road, which is the biggest Amish owned shop and is on the Riehls farm, Sylvia Petersheim on Route 340 on the outskirts of Bird in Hand(very knowlegable Mennonite vendor) ,Village Quilt Shop on Route 340 in Intercourse (very highend Quiltsand crafts with a nice-though small- quilt museum on their second floor) and Family Farm Quilts, on Route 772 northeast of Intercourse (large selection and comparatively reasonable prices) All closed Sunday.

For farmers Markets, the quaintest and most upscale is Central Market in Lancaster city open Tues, Fri, Sat.

The biggest is Green Dragon in Eprata open Friday only, which is the most downscale-a combination flea market/ farmers market. The most touristy is Bird in Hand. which, through October is open Wed-Sat. For all farmers markets it is best to go early.

Hope this helps.

Edited: 27 August 2013, 00:09
PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
2,945 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road Trip

If you are in the area on a Tuesday, there is also Root's Country Market & Auction in Manheim, near Lancaster.

http://www.rootsmarket.com/

Over the Rainbow
Level Contributor
404 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road Trip

I just discovered another great website. This is sort of like the Lancaster County Visitors' Bureau one, but it only has the 'hidden gems' around the county. You know, those 'hole in the wall' kind of places where everything is absolutely fabulous and the locals know about it. I thought of you, brookquarry. Anyway, it's www.reallancastercounty.com

It would be a helpful site for anyone coming to visit the county and didn't want to spend a lot of time at the tourist traps. Enjoy!

oh, I almost forgot...I must ask Soupdragon where he/she is staying while in Lancaster.

Wales
Level Contributor
303 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road Trip

Hi Thanks for all your help. We are going to take a drive through Intercourse and Bird in Hand on our way from Philadelphia so will be stopping at differnet places.

We are staying at the Red Roof In on Lincoln Highway so will be able to get around. Might be able to make the market in time in Lancaster depending on how long the drive takes us due to the stops we will be making. When I get time I will look at the reallancastercounty web site. You have all been a great help. Looking forward to it all now not long to go just under 5 weeks.

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,720 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road Trip

Be aware that Central market closes at 4PM Tues and Fri and 2 PM Saturday

June, thanks for pointing out the reallancastercounty website. I have bookmarked it. Looking at it quickly it looks like a good resource, although inevitably I think there are some noticeable omisions- no listing for Sylvia Petersheim under quilts, no listing for Carmen and Davids under ice cream

8. Re: Road Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2014, 06:20
Get answers to your questions about Lancaster
Recent Conversations