We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Amish Style restaurant in Lancaster?

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Topic
Best Amish Style restaurant in Lancaster?

I see a lot of reviews for more modern restaurants, and breakfast type places, but wondering what the most authentic Amish style restaurant is in the area?

Thanks so much!

Over the Rainbow
Level Contributor
404 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Amish Style restaurant in Lancaster?

There are two good ones that I know of. Katie's Kitchen and Dienner's Family Restaurant. Both close early. Dienners at 6 (Friday till 8) and Katie's at 7:30.

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,822 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Amish Style restaurant in Lancaster?

Both are good. Katies Kitchen is the only Amish OWNED restaurant. However, it is a converted Burger/ice cream place, so their menu is limited-you might look at their menu online and see if there is enough variety for you.

I actually believe Oregon Dairy has the most Pennsylvania Dutch menu options. It is Mennonite owned and we have found the food very good.

One problem you may be findig in your search is that none of these places are in Lancaster City, which really has very few if any Pa Dutch restaurants. Try searching under "Lancaster County' and you will find more selections.

Elizabethtown...
Level Contributor
986 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Amish Style restaurant in Lancaster?

IMO, stick to Dienners, Oregon Dairy and if heading to Hershey, Country Table in Mount Joy is along the way. I have also had decent meals at Lititz Family Cupboard, but it's been years. What you definitely want to do is avoid the highly advertised spots like Miller's, Plain and Fancy, Good n' Plenty, etc. which cater to tourists and locals never eat at.

Some locals genuinely like Shady Maple, but in my experience they are locals that value quantity over quality. It is quite a sight, so it might be on the list of "everyone should see it once."

No matter where you go, look at the specials or ask what is a local specialty. Much of the menus will remind you of typical diner menus. No, there is nothing done to the shrimp baskets, chicken tenders and open face turkey sandwich to make it PA Dutch. Pork and sauerkraut, chicken croquettes, ham loaf, and chicken pot pie are some of the things to look for.

4. Re: Best Amish Style restaurant in Lancaster?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 November 2014, 06:20