We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easter Weekend?

Wayne, New Jersey
Level Contributor
37 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Easter Weekend?

Hello! I am considering another visit on April 17-19 which is Holy Thursday, good Friday and Holy Saturday. Will everything be open or will everything be closed (as on Sundays) for observation of the holy days? Thanks!

PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
2,819 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easter Weekend?

To the best of my knowledge, most everything will be open. Springtime in the Park at Hersheypark is definitely open. I would further suggest checking the websites of the attractions you are planning on visiting for specific days and hours of operation.

Edited: 18 January 2014, 04:07
Wayne, New Jersey
Level Contributor
37 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easter Weekend?

Thank you FlyEagle. Not planning on Hershey; I am specifically wondering about Lancaster...Amish shops, restaurants, farmers markets, etc. I recall from previous trips most everything in and around Lancaster was closed on Sundays for religious reasons, so I wondered if the same would be true of any religious day like good Friday.

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Easter Weekend?

I would expect all Amish run stores(which are mostly roadstands and craft shops) to be closed on Good Friday.

Almost all businesses, even most Mennoniote run businesses, will be open on Good Friday(for example, Shady Maple, which is Mennonite run, will be open Good Friday). Conservative Mennonite busineses, such as Bird in Hand Bake Shop, Dienners, and Lapp Valley Farms Ice Cream. MAY be closed.

I would expect everything(including Amish run businesses) to be open Saturday, and Maundy Thursday.

Holy week is more of a Catholic concept than a Protestant one, and the Amish and and Mennonites are Protestant.

Farmers Markets, such as Bird in Hand, Green Dragon, and Lancaster Central will all be open their normal hours. Amish vendors will probably not be there Godd Friday.

Edited: 18 January 2014, 11:22
Wayne, New Jersey
Level Contributor
37 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easter Weekend?

Thank you Brookquarry! This is helpful info and will help me schedule my itinerary. Can't go to Lancaster without a meal (or two) at Dienners, a visit to the farmers markets and a stop at the Bird in Hand Bakery :-)

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Easter Weekend?

Your welcome. Just a clarification, in light of your specific interests.

Dienners website does not give information about good friday. You might call to make sure they are open, if thats the day you want to go,

The Bird in Hand BAKERY on Route 340 in Bird in Hand will almost definately be open good Friday. My comment was about the Bird in Hand BAKE SHOP, north of town on Gibbons Road., which is run by Old Order Mennonites. It is more likely they will be closed Good Friday.(Dienners pies are mostly made by Bird in Hand BAKE SHOP, if I remember correctly))

Edited: 18 January 2014, 18:09
Wayne, New Jersey
Level Contributor
37 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Easter Weekend?

We've actually been to both, though I prefer the one that looks more like a house than a commercial bakery and also has local crafts. I think it is the Bake shop. Thanks for the clarification, I will be sure to call the correct place!

PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
2,819 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Easter Weekend?

Christine B,

Sorry about my reply. I was mult tasking and reading multiple posts and still had a post about Hershey on my mind. Enjoy your trip to Lancaster.

Wayne, New Jersey
Level Contributor
37 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Easter Weekend?

No worries FlyEagle! Appreciate your response :-)

9. Re: Easter Weekend?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2015, 05:18