We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

restaurant

Lititz, Pennsylvania
4 posts
Save Topic
restaurant

Looking for a hole in the wall restaurant near Lancaster with great food.

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,758 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: restaurant

I am assuming that by 'hole in the wall' you mean cheap in a less than attractive setting

Yangs on Route 222 just north of Lancaster city has some of the best Chinese in an unglamourous setting.

Wasabi in the Kendig Square shopping center on 272 in Willow Street has excellent Sushi

Jennys diner on route 30, just east of the tourist strip has good diner food in an old rundown diner

Pancake Farm in Ephrata has excellent breakfasts in a bareboned crowded dining room.

Town Hall in Blue Ball serves very good comfort food in a dining room that has not been remodeled since the'60's or earliier.

Edited: 28 February 2014, 12:58
Lititz, Pennsylvania
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: restaurant

Thank you for your reply. I don't necessarily mean cheap, I mean more of a local restaurant that is not well known....not touistry.

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,758 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: restaurant

None of the above(except maybe Jennies) are touristy. Probably 80% of the restaurants in Lancaster County are not touristy.

What type of cuisine? Do you want reccomendations for upscale around Lancaster City, where few tourists venture? Are you asking about non-touristy Pennsylvania Dutch cuisine(the tourist cuisine of choice)?

Lititz, Pennsylvania
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: restaurant

Upscale restaurants where few tourists go and not looking for Amish food. Love any kind of food.....looking for eclectic.

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,758 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: restaurant

Well regarded Lancaster upscale restaurants would include Gibraltar(not touristy unless you count F and M students and their parents), Log Cabin (for a traditional steak and seafood menu), John Jeffries (if you want farm to table) Carr's( Not as traditional as Log Cabin, but fairly unadventurous)

There are no Italian restaurants that I would recommend

. Tulsi is reputed to have good Indian food, but I have no personal experience.

El Serrano is probably the most upscale Mexican/latin American restaurant.

There are other posters who eat upscale more frequently than we do, who can provide better insight.

Edited: 28 February 2014, 14:10
Over the Rainbow
Level Contributor
404 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: restaurant

a great website for those 'hidden gem' kinds of places is www.reallancastercounty.com

Lititz, Pennsylvania
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: restaurant

Thank you so much.......great website!!

Elizabethtown...
Level Contributor
986 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: restaurant

The best fine dining is all in Lancaster City.

Gibraltar, John J. Jeffries, Ma(i)son, and Citronelle are the best, IMO. If you stick downtown and avoid the places with big billboards out on Rt. 30 E, no place will feel touristy. Out in the tourist region east of the city, the best you might be able to get without coming all the way into town is The Greenfield Inn (located not far from the visitor's center off Rt. 30).

El Serrano is good, but IMO, even better is their upstairs tapas experience, Culturas.

Your name lists Lititz as your location. I am guessing you are visiting there, not from there? Unfortunately, the only "fine dining" in Lititz gets very, very mixed reviews. It is The General Sutter Inn and seems to lose chefs frequently, which makes it go from "great" to "terrible" in fairly short periods of time. Last I heard they got someone new... haven't heard if it is good or bad yet. They have a pub connected, Bull's Head. All the people I know that like it are there for the beer selection, I've only heard mediocre things about the menu. But haven't been myself. Appalachian Brewing Company is a good place for a beer and a burger. Tomato Pie Cafe is probably the best lunch spot.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,373 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: restaurant

Tucked away in the western edge of Lancaster city, some would call it a "hole-in-the-wall" place, certainly not "touristy."

www.jethrosrestaurantandbar.com

Another that might fit your criteria on the other side of town is "The Horse Inn," not easy to find but worth the search.

10. Re: restaurant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2015, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Lancaster