We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lancaster itinerary for this wkend - would love any advice

calif
Level Contributor
142 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Lancaster itinerary for this wkend - would love any advice

Hi all;

I will be flying from Calif this Thursday to visit my 23 yo daughter living in Haddenfield NJ and my 25 yo daughter will be coming from NYC to join us.

I was able to rent an Enterprise car for the weekend for just $47, so its off to Lancaster for a "Girl's Weekend" we go. . . .first time for all of us.

Would love to buy one or two queen quilts for about $300 each , but probably can't afford unless I can snag one at the Robert Fulton mud sale.

Here is our Itinerary --- would love any comments or tips. (the times are approximate, trying to fit a lot in on Sat since most of the places I'd like to visit are not open on Sunday)

Sat April 5th

6:30am -- leave Haddenfield NJ for Lancaster County

8:30 am -- 11:30am -- Robert Fulton Mud Sale at Peach Bottom PA. I'd like to bid on a queen sized quilt . . and just enjoy the atmosphere at being at a mud sale, eating local PA Dutch food, and doing some people watching. Have never been to an auction, so hopefully I can catch on fast what to do.

12 - 1pm Country Creations • 321 North Star Rd Strasburg, PA 17579 (open sat until 6pm) 8,500 sq ft store, located in their barn. has attractive machine made Quilts on their top (loft) floor.

1 - 2pm Countryside Road stand (2966 Stumptown Rd. Ronks). has awesome soft pretzels and reasonably price crafts!! Amish owned and run.

2- 3:30pm Bird in Hand Market -- 2710 Old Philadelphia Pike (Open 8:30- 5:30pm Sat / closed Sunday) Bird in Hand, PA 17505 Has pretzels, baked items, etc. They also give samples throughout the market.

(Will do if we have time): 3:30- 4:30pm Mommalicious (sat 10- 5) 310 North Queen Street, Lancaster, PA 17603. Vintage clothing / jewelry type store.

5pm check in to: Best Western Premium Eden’s Resort-- 222 Eden Road Lancaster, Pennsylvania -- get ready for dinner, leave for theater at 5:30pm

(I bid on a 3 star hotel on Priceline and got this hotel for $75 before taxes and fees. . . from what I have read about this hotel, I think I got a "steal").

6pm -- Dutch Apple Dinner theater – 510 Centerville Rd, Lancaster, PA 17601, we will be having a buffet dinner and seeing "Seven Brides for Seven brothers". Regular price is $55/pp but we got the AAA rate of $45/pp (we will need to show a valid AAA card for EACH ticket)

Sunday April 6th

10:30- 1 pm: Oregon Diary – 2900 Oregon Pike, Lititz, PA 17543-9221. go for breakfast (Breakfast served until 11:30am/ restaurant open until 2 pm on Sun) / shop at bakery and grocery store

1:30- 4:00 pm - head to Adamstown to look around and do some antique window shopping

or if my daughters are tired of doing this kind of stuff, then head to Tangers Outlet Mall

4:00 pm -- head back to Haddenfield NJ

If anyone has tips on bidding for quilts, or other advice/ tips that would be wonderful.

Thank you.

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,744 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lancaster itinerary for this wkend - would love any advice

Lisa, I'm glad you took my advice and adjusted your times

I hope you will call the phone numbers I gave you,posted on the Robert Fulton Website, to make sure they take credit cards, and to make sure when the quilt auction part of the mudsale starts(there are normally several auctions going at once at mudsales-sometimes the best quilts aren't offered until late morning)

As I said Robert Fulton is not a mud sale I have been to. Frequent poster Daddio has posted about it in the past and could probably offer better comments than I.

You can check Country Creations website for their quilt patterns. and see what appeals to you.

As to Adamstown of the two biggest Sunday markets Renningers is more flea market like, Stoudts more upscale.

Since you are going late in the day,you may get some good deals from the outside vendors, who like to move merchandise before they pack-up.

I strongly endorse going to both Countryside Road Stand and Bird in Hand Bake shop-two of our favorite stores.

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,744 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lancaster itinerary for this wkend - would love any advice

Just noticed you are going to the Bird in Hand Farmers market. Be sure to bring a cooler. Michaels breads has excellent breads. The butchers(S. Clyde Weaver and Hummers) are both excellent.

Since you won't be going to Kitchen Kettle Village, their stand at the market is a good place to get their excellent jams and preserves.

Over the Rainbow
Level Contributor
404 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lancaster itinerary for this wkend - would love any advice

While the Eden Resort is a beautiful and well-maintained property, staying there is not going to add anything to your overall Lancaster County experience. Yes, it's a place to crash at night after all of your wonderfully planned adventures (it looks like you've really done your homework - Bravo!) Yes, you'll pay extra for everything like breakfast, wifi, bottled water, etc. However, there's no one there who will be able to offer you genuine, first-hand knowledge about the area - the best places to eat, shop and sight-see that will make the most of your holiday. Next time, you might want to consider staying at one of the many, many bed & breakfast properties.

Enjoy your stay.

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,744 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lancaster itinerary for this wkend - would love any advice

I was able to find an auction schedule. It appears the quilt and furniture auction begins at 8:45 AM

calif
Level Contributor
142 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lancaster itinerary for this wkend - would love any advice

Brooke

I called the number today, but the person who answered must be a fire man -- because he didn't know much about the mud sale. The mud sale does take credit cards ( visa and MC) but will chg an extra 3% fee. . . and he had no idea when the quilts would start to sell . . .he did say the day started at 8:45am.

I went to youtube to watch a mud sale quilt auction in action -- and man, do they talk fast and sell the quilts fast , maybe taking 3 minutes to sell one before going to the next. Its going to take me a little bit to get used to the auctioneers fast-paced talking as I could hardly understand the info he was giving, he went so fast.

i went to our bank and pulled out cash -- and hope to be able to purchase one or two. I even went on some amish quilt websites to become familiar with the most popular quilts designs and colors generally used in amish quilts. (dahlia, country bride, etc)

June;

Thanks for your suggestion of a B&B for next time. I first went to Hotel.com which didn't really show any B&Bs -- and I read on tripadvisor that staying at places like Rodeway Inn and 2 star places, etc wouldn't be worth the money paid. . ..So that's when I went to Priceline to bid for a 3star hotel and got the Eden.

For both of you

Can I buy jams , jellies, etc and put in my check in luggage without having to worry it wont go through security? After visiting my daughters in phila area, I am flying on to boston to attend a 5 day work conference. . .so I want to make sure my purchases (esp since they will be home made) will be able to fly from phil to boston to La without settling off any alarms or being confiscated, etc.

thanks for all your help. I think I am looking forward to going to the mud sale the best. Are there any "rules" I need to heed in terms of taking pictures of the amish or mennonites there? One rule I think I read was that you can take pictures of kids, but not grownups unless they are facing away from you?) Anything else I should know?

Edited: 03 April 2014, 08:08
Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,744 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lancaster itinerary for this wkend - would love any advice

We don't take pictures at all of Amish(buggys and farms are okay) out of respect for their beliefs

I will say the rules are more lenient for children. We have Amish friends we visit (four different siblings-now each with their own farm) with elderly friends of ours who have known them for 40 years.

At one visit our host said"do you want to see a photo of us as kids?' and pulled out an old black and white Kodak shot of all 6

kids(two moved to a new settlement in Dauphin County years ago)-arranged by height. When we mentioned it to his brother, later in the day, he exclaimed-"so that's what happened to that photo".

Unfortunately you are likely to see some distrespectful behavior by tourists. I have seen tourists step right in front of an Amish person and snap a shot without asking.

Mennonites don't have the same photo restrictions, but you are unlikely to see many Mennonites at Robert Fulton. Even the Amish only started buying up farms that far south within the last 40-50 years. Although there is a sizable community now.

The schedule shows quilts and furniture starting at 8;45. As I said before, I would expect the most valuable quilts will be sold later, when there are more free spending tourist.

Expect parking to be offsite with shuttle busses.

Sorry, I can't help on jams and airport security. I do seem to recall some kind of restrictions imposed by California on fresh fruit and vegetables, but you probably know more about that than I.

Elizabethtown...
Level Contributor
986 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lancaster itinerary for this wkend - would love any advice

Things in your checked luggage should not be a problem. My husband travels regularly for work and often brings home condiments, jams and beer wrapped very carefully in his checked luggage. The risk of breakage is what makes me most nervous, so you may want to take some plastic baggies as extra protection, just in case. Beyond that, he just wraps them in socks and puts them in the middle where they are well protected.

Sounds like you have a great trip planned! Have a good time!

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,373 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lancaster itinerary for this wkend - would love any advice

The quilt auction is held In the firehall west wing. It will go on for hours. There will be programs available so you will know the order. They don't "save the best for last". In fact, prices often trend lower late in the sale, after most bidders have made their purchases. Too bad you can't stay later.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,373 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lancaster itinerary for this wkend - would love any advice

As for taking photos, I am seeing more and more of that at the mud sales. I would urge you to be discreet and keep a respectful distance.

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,921 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lancaster itinerary for this wkend - would love any advice

Personally I think if it inappropriate to take photos of any one without their permission...Amish or not Amish...

Get answers to your questions about Lancaster