We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lancaster with young boys...please review itinerary

Which Lancaster hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NH
Level Contributor
455 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Lancaster with young boys...please review itinerary

We are planning to visit Lancaster in mid July with our 4 and 5 year old boys and my husband's 65+ parents. Rooms are booked at Homewood Suites.

Current plans:

Monday: drive over from just east of Philly. Leave around 9am to avoid rush hour. Arrive in Strasburg around 1030. We plan to visit the RR museum and take a ride on the train. Lunch will be a picnic lunch brought with us. We will stop at Springerle House on the way out to buy some cookies. I'd love to have lunch there, but my boys and mother in law don't eat ham or bacon. I can't believe my kids dislike bacon...shaking head. After checking in to the hotel, we'll have an early dinner at Rice and Noodles and then hit the free preview at Dutch Wonderland from 530-830. Focus will be the water park area.

Tuesday: breakfast at hotel. Abe's buggy ride...one of the short ones. A visit to Bird in Hand Bake Shop. Early lunch (11am) at either Bruno's or DJs Taste of the 50s. Get to Dutch Wonderland around noon and spend the rest of the day there. Not sure what to do about dinner. We may be ready to leave the park by then. Or maybe we'll leave for dinner and a couple of us will return to DW and others will head back to hotel.

Wednesday: breakfast at hotel. Drive to Lititz to tour Sturgis pretzels and Wilbur chocolate. Lunch at Tomato Pie. Ice cream at Grecos. Drive to Hershey. We may visit Indian Echo Cavern or just go right to Hershey World. We aren't doing Hershey Park this trip, saving it for when they are older. Dinner at either Hersey Pantry or Piazza Sorrento. Drive back to hotel.

Thursday: breakfast at Cafe One Eight. Drive back to NJ via a Herrs tour.

Missing anything. Any bad dining choices? Comments? Thanks!

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,402 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lancaster with young boys...please review itinerary

I assume your picnic lunch will be at the Railroad's picnic grove. Its a nice location, if the weather cooperates(heat, rain).

You might consider the Choo Choo Barn also. Young kids usually like it, and there's enough detail to interest the adults.

Don't expect too much from the buggy ride. Abe's does use authentic Amish Buggys, but the beginning of the ride is heavy traffic, and you don't get to see a lot because the horses move so slowly. I would expect the kids will love the ride though.

I've never been to Bruno's so I can't comment on whether the hoagies are any good. In general, the quality of hoagies tends to be higher in Philadelphia and environs than in Lancaster County(better rolls for one thing).

I have seen Bruno's on our trips to the Issac's in the same strip center and it at least appeared to be attractive and clean ( I know you already decided against Isaacs).

DJ's is kitschy(50's décor) and crowded during the tourist season. It is one of my parents favorites for breakfast and lunch in the off-season. We've eaten there with them and the burgers are generally quite good.

Tomato Pie is a good choice. Never been to Greco's. You might investigate Café Chocolate, in Lititz for desert.

NH
Level Contributor
455 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lancaster with young boys...please review itinerary

I recognize your screen name :) Thanks for replying.

Bruno's says they bring their rolls in from Philly each day. And it has good reviews. I guess we could do Isaac's and just order off the adult menu for the kids.

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,402 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lancaster with young boys...please review itinerary

Well, I can recommend Isaacs- they don't try to be something they are not- Jewish Deli,or Philly hoagie shop. Their Sandwiches and soups are very good.

I looked at the Bruno's menu and really don't see any kids options, although if they can share a hoagie you're probably okay.I also noted their hours are limited 10AM to 2 PM. The Greenfield Road location is near a large corporate office park (That's why Isaacs is there also) , so if you go to either one during the week you are probably better off getting there before noon or after 1PM.

I do note the yelp reviews for Bruno's are quite good.

Lancaster County, PA
Level Contributor
212 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lancaster with young boys...please review itinerary

If you go over to Rt 30 the Steamboat Inn by the outlets has great food and is a neat little place. I live local in the area and we enjoy their lunch and dinner.

While you are in Lititz visit the Park too. Its a nice park to walk around and enjoy:) Bring crackers ro bread to feed the ducks:)

PA
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lancaster with young boys...please review itinerary

I vote Bruno's over Isaac's. Also would recommend Diener's after DW, not too far from there and delicious.

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,402 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lancaster with young boys...please review itinerary

Well, the problem with Dienner's is they close at 6PM, so if you are going to be at Dutch Wonderland "the rest of the day" it may not work for you.

NY
Level Contributor
1,427 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lancaster with young boys...please review itinerary

I don't know why you would not want Isaacs for lunch.. The food is very good. They make wonderful sandwiches and salads and have the best pepperjack tomato soup. I believe they have a childrens menu also.

NH
Level Contributor
455 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lancaster with young boys...please review itinerary

mittmott...the children's menu at Isaacs is terrible. The bread is full of dyes, the pbj comes with mini marshmallows, there is a sandwich with dinosaur chicken nuggets in it. It's pure crap. If we go there, I will order them adult menu items, but then I'm curious about the quality of the cold cuts if they offer such crap to kids.

It appears my husband will not be able to make the trip (new job starts that week) so I will need to revamp things a bit. Instead of coming in via Philly, we will come down Sunday from NH and spend an extra night. Were were going to spend a night or two in NJ, but since I"m on my own, I only want to pack/unpack one time.

NH
Level Contributor
455 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lancaster with young boys...please review itinerary

Here's the kid's menu:

http://www.isaacsdeli.com/kidsmenu_menu.asp

Lancaster County, PA
Level Contributor
212 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lancaster with young boys...please review itinerary

Isaacs is good but if my opinion to to avoid chain type of restaurants and try something thats known locally.