We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lancaster in September

new jersey
Level Contributor
85 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Lancaster in September

My husband and I will be taking our 4 and 2 yr old to get pumpkins, ect the end of Sep. We usually stay in Strasburg. We ended up staying at the hotel next to the SIght and Sound with the big red barnish looking eatery. It really was kind of nasty and dirty (even though the rooms were new). Anyway, can someone share a location that is good for kids and that is actually clean? We saw the train hotel were a family can stay in a train car. Saw mixed reviews on that place. Thanks for any info!

Harrisburg, PA
Level Contributor
509 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lancaster in September

I see Fulton Steamboat Inn frequently recommended -- it's just down the road at the corner of 896 and Rt 30. Never stayed there myself, but there are reviews on here which recommend it. See the forum posts about having the kids ask in the giftshop about a fish -- supposedly they'll give them one in a bowl to care for during your stay.

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,720 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lancaster in September

Friends of ours stayed a couple times at Red Caboose(the train hotel you mentioned) with their train crazy grandson. Their verdict- "It's fine if you think of it as camping". I'm guessing you will be happier at Steamboat Inn. By the way both hotels were conceived by the same man, the late Donald Denlinger (who owned the Red Caboose for decades) although the Steamboat Inn was ultimately built by others.

York, PA
Level Contributor
2,528 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lancaster in September

Just east of Lancaster is the Best Western Plus Revere. The main building has an indoor pool and deluxe rooms and suites. The annex consists of motel style rooms. A free continental breakfast buffet is served each morning in the main building.

Edited: 09 July 2014, 21:35
New York, NY
Level Contributor
140 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lancaster in September

The Country Inn & Suites is located right across from Dutch Wonderland Amusement Park, so your kids will have plenty to do and lots of fun. We love this hotel for the spacious, very clean and comfortable rooms and the great staff working there - indoor/outdoor pools and nice selection of free breakfast items both hot and cold! The Best Western Revere in Paradise is also nice; however, their annex part I thought was awful! If you decide on the Country Inn & Suites, go for their 1 bedroom suite - large and comfortable! with 2 TV's!

Philadelphia...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Lancaster in September

I've stayed at the Red Caboose quite a few times myself with my husband, and 2 year daughter and she loves it! She loves trains, the playground they have there, the free movies they often show on the outside of this huge barn! There's a petting zoo with horses, goats, chickens, etc, They have a cute and unique gift shop and restaurant with great food in site which is a def must with a lil one. I love the part of sleeping in the train car, but know the part where the previous commenter said, "like camping" which I can get because its not a real hotel room and its in the country and I myself raising and living in Philly a big City, some people seem to forget that Lancaster is wonderful and beautiful for its slower pace lifestyle, so one is not gonna get a "typical" getaway in Lancaster, which is why I always love it there. So Its really what what your looking for. I love the family owned business they have, giving back to America, mom and pop style, the new owner bought it several years ago from a different owner than Don Delinger and we have often seen him around which I love seeing a man that is not to big to work his business. I also love the convenience of so many nice simple, amenities on site of the Red Caboose with out having to leave the hotel along with the friendly staff with a smile. Its also on a smaller road, but so close to many tourist attractions, the Strasburg Railroad, The Toy Train Museum, in the middle of the Amish country so its nice,

Although no pool, there is very very nice community pool not many visitors seem to know about called Nickel Mines Pools off 895( Georgetown road) about 10 mins from the hotel. My daughter loves the little kiddie pool and they have regular 4 foot/8 foot inground pool, a section with a volley ball net, and a food counter.

I've also have friends stay at the Clarion Inn in Strasburg( or Historic Strasburg Inn) right next to Fireside Tavern, which the food there is great. Some parts of the hotel is older from what I heard, so I'd ask for a newer room.

6. Re: Lancaster in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 00:16
Get answers to your questions about Lancaster
Recent Conversations