We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mud sales in Lancaster area

Toms River, New...
Level Contributor
48 posts
144 reviews
Save Topic
mud sales in Lancaster area

I have never been to any mud sales and would really like to try them. I am mostly looking for a hand made Amish quilt. Do they have a lot of these at mud sales? If so how do these sales work? How much should I expect to pay for a queen size? Are any of the towns mud sales better than others? I can only make it out there once or twice during that time since I live so far away. Just was hoping i could maybe get a decent deal on one and maybe find some other nice Amish made items.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,382 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mud sales in Lancaster area

The mud sales are public auctions. You need to register and get a bidder's #. Some firehalls don't accept out-of-state checks, but others will, and some also take credit cards but add a surcharge. I think they all have quilts....I know at Gordonville, Bart, Gap, and Robert Stevens, there can typically be 350-450 pieces. The quilt auctions are normally indoors, and each one is hoisted on a clothesline as it's being sold. The folded quits are on partial display beforehand. They are numbered and programs are available to follow along. Prices generally run between $200-$400. for full sized bed quilts. Depends quite a bit on the style, design, colors, complexity, etc. If you found one you liked in a store, you can usually find a similar one at a lower price.

Of course, there are many other crafts and a myriad of items being auctioned simultaneously all day. You almost need to be in two places at once if there are multiple items you're shopping for, so bring a friend!

Mud sales are the perfect way to spend a day mingling with our Plain residents...they will be there working, bidding, and just enjoying a day of leisure with their friends. Be sure to watch for the "corner ball" games the young men end up playing in a nearby field. And the Amish boys with their wagons who will offer to help haul your purchases.

2. Re: mud sales in Lancaster area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2015, 05:16