We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ice cream & water ice near Sesame Place

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
8 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Ice cream & water ice near Sesame Place

My family is planning a trip to Sesame Place in July. We are all ice cream lovers and are looking for good ice cream/custard/gelato near the park and our hotel (across the street from the park). We would also be interested in trying good local "water ice" that we saw so many signs for on our last trip there (2 years ago). Any recommendations within a 10-15 minute drive from the park?

8 replies to this topic
Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
9,076 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ice cream & water ice near Sesame Place

Your best bet is Rita's on Lincoln Highway. It is a water ice chain, but it is pretty good. From Oxford Valley Road, make a right onto Lincoln Highway. It's about 5-10 minutes down the road in Penndel.

Note: what the call gelato is not gelato. It is a combination of water ice and soft serve in the same cup. No hard ice cream. For that, you would need to go to either Goodnoe's or Zebra Striped Whale in Newtown, but that may be a bit farther than you want to go.

Edited: 14 May 2014, 22:22
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ice cream & water ice near Sesame Place

I'll echo what Owlyn said, just adding that there's also a Rita's in Morrisville. Turn left at the Pep Boys onto Lincoln Highway (also known as Business Route 1) & stay straight. You'll reach it in under 10 minutes, on the right.

Owlyn: I miss the local independent places like Connie's & Wizard of Ice! Rita's seems to have the monopoly these days.

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,076 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ice cream & water ice near Sesame Place

Jug,

My favorite was/is Overbrook Water Ice. Extremely too far for the visitors, and I wouldn't send a tourist into that area anyway. John's is also good, but way too far, and not really worth the trip.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
8 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ice cream & water ice near Sesame Place

Thanks, everyone. We actually have a couple of Rita's here in the Cleveland/Akron area, so I'm familiar with them. I was hoping for something a little more local, but I don't know that my little ones will be up for any more driving. (And Rita's is pretty good.) We are headed to the hotel & park from the Hershey area, so a stop along that route (Most likely 276 to 1/Oxford Valley) would be an option as well.

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ice cream & water ice near Sesame Place

Boehringers Drive In is an Ice Cream/Hamburger stand, with very good homemade ice cream Its on Route 272 in Adamstown a couple miles north of the turnpike(I-76)- exit.

No website, but the reviews on Tripadvisor (under 'Adamstown") are accurate.

Seating is outdoors on Picnic tables, so if its raining you might want to skip it.

Edited: 15 May 2014, 14:02
PA
Level Contributor
2 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ice cream & water ice near Sesame Place

Not sure if you've already visited, but Dairy Delite is a local favorite and about 5 minutes away on Woodbourne Road.

Edited: 11 July 2014, 06:29
Phila, PA
Level Contributor
51 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ice cream & water ice near Sesame Place

Dairy Delite on woodbourne rd in Levittown. They only take cash but hands down best ice cream in the area. Also try Zebra Striped Whale in Newtown.

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,076 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ice cream & water ice near Sesame Place

This question is from over a year ago. Please do not "wake up" old threads.

Reply to: Ice cream & water ice near Sesame Place
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted