We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The introduction of Car Park Toilet Charges

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
314 reviews
Save Topic
The introduction of Car Park Toilet Charges

We absolutely love Porthcurno Cove, beach for coastal walking, sunbathing, swimming and the Minack Theatre etc. However, we we really disappointed following our visit there last week to discover the introduction of 20 pence toilet charges! This is on top of the very expensive car park fees. For a coastal walker, who visits at least annually, I think this is a step too far. The phrase 'cutting one's nose off to spite one's face' springs to mind Cornwall!

People like us love this place, bring you lots of business to not just this, but, the surrounding area, at least annually and this just feels very cheap indeed! Suggest you reconsider please.

43 replies to this topic
Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,595 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The introduction of Car Park Toilet Charges

And how else do you think the maintenance of the toilets should be paid for? Should I pay for it on my council tax even though I never use car park toilets?

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
314 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The introduction of Car Park Toilet Charges

Fully understand and appreciate! However, if you want people to visit and encourage tourists and attract our business, not sure this is the answer. Sorry! This is our view.

Essex
Level Contributor
29,053 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The introduction of Car Park Toilet Charges

Stay in London then, where public toilets are free....... Not!

Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
955 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The introduction of Car Park Toilet Charges

The background to this is that the council, faced with all sorts of difficult funding decisions, have removed funding from most toilets in Cornwall, and local parish councils, businesses and other groups have stepped in where they can. In most cases, it's charge or close - even quiet toilets cost a few thousand a year to run and clean, which is simply beyond the resources of most parish councils.

If you feel strongly, please write to Cornwall Council.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
314 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The introduction of Car Park Toilet Charges

Nice, mature and tourist- friendly response (not!). However, I accept your local view point.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
314 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The introduction of Car Park Toilet Charges

Thank you for your ( kinder) and informative response about the context; much more helpful and NB! my previous reply was in response to the 'stay in London' remark. Thank you.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Norfolk
Level Contributor
2,240 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The introduction of Car Park Toilet Charges

I have to agree with EssexWanderer.

The toilets are charged where you live - so you are not paying for them on your council tax.

Yet you expect them to be available free to you when on holiday - i.e. paid by local people in their council tax?

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The introduction of Car Park Toilet Charges

However, we we really disappointed following our visit there last week to discover the introduction of 20 pence toilet charges!

======

If this isn't a First World Problem, goodness knows what is.

IMO, its a good thing. deters vandals, pays for better upkeep, and its an absolutely TRIVIAL amount of money. And its all in the context, would you complain if the (I'm guessing) £5 car park fee was £5.20 but included "free" toilets? Maybe their alterantive was to raise the car park fee to accommodate the cost they have but they decided not to, as the toilets are used by non car park users so why shouldn't they pay also?

Finally, are you happy to leech off the locals, their rates are paying for you at present? Why should they ? Never mind the spurious "encouraging tourists" argument, there will be plenty of people who dont depend on the tourist economy and in any case, if 20p discourages someone to come down, I have a feeling they arent going to be big contributors to the tourist pound. Probably bring their own sandwiches they bought the ingredients for at an Asda in London.

9. Re: The introduction of Car Park Toilet Charges

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 08 April 2014, 13:35

st Ives
Level Contributor
144 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The introduction of Car Park Toilet Charges

I live in Cornwall and my income is dependent on tourists, as are a lot of people's wages in this county. It's about time that Cornwall Council started to realise this, instead of ripping them off at every step of their stay. Toilets should be free, not only in Cornwall, but everywhere.

Reply to: The introduction of Car Park Toilet Charges
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Porthcurno