We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Laurel Highlands

NY
Level Contributor
775 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Laurel Highlands

We am thinking of taking a trip to the Laurel Highlands for up to 5 days. We like easy to moderate hiking, mountain and waterfall scenery, theater, and are open to other things.

Please offer suggestions for this trip.

Thanks

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,526 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Laurel Highlands

I would suggest the following:

Fallingwater & Kentuck Knob, homes designed by Frank Lloyd Wright

Ohiopyle State Park, including the falls (nice hikes)

Johnstown, including the Incline Plane and flood museums

We spent a few days here about 5 years ago and liked the area. There is also a resort called Seven Springs (I believe it caters mostly to skiiers, but I think there are summer activities also, like an alpine slide).

Enjoy!

Pittsburgh, PA...
Level Contributor
262 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Laurel Highlands

I agree with the first response, all good suggestions. Also at Ohiopyle, you can rent bicycles and ride the bike trails along the Youghiogheny River - always in excellent condition and beautiful scenery. The bike trails have very gentle grades because they were railway beds, so if you can ride a bike, you can travel for hours on them and not be pushed too hard even if you aren't in great shape.

Laurel Hill State Park is a favorite place to visit with a beautiful stream perfect for trout fishing and a large lake surrounded by the mountains. Also plenty of hiking.

I've gone hiking all over the country and find that buying a book on the hiking for the region I am visiting is usually the best way to help me decide which hikes to do. You may want to go on Amazon and order "50 Hikes in Western Pennsylvania." The reviews of the book are pretty good and it says that plenty of the hikes are in the Laurel Highlands. Also, it is focused on dayhikes and walks, not backbacking. It's only about $13, so well worth the value you'll get from it.

3. Re: Laurel Highlands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2009, 14:21
Get answers to your questions about Ohiopyle