We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Pittsburgh, first NFL game, Thanksgiving wknd

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
First time in Pittsburgh, first NFL game, Thanksgiving wknd

I'm travelling to Pittsburgh for the first time this November to watch my first ever NFL game as well. And have a couple of questions regarding thanksgiving weekend and the match.

1. Is there people going to bars to watch football and drink beer on thanksgiving, and are the bars open untill late? I'm not sure if i should take the plane on friday, or if it's worth travelling one day earlier for thanksgiving if everybody stays at home that day. I'm travelling from Norway.

2. Is Pittsburgh a OK place to go as a visiting supporter(Packers), are the people friendly to visitors in jerseys etc?

3. Is there any must do things or bars/tailgates to go on before the match?

Thanks in advance. :)

Mentioned in this post
Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
4 replies to this topic
Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,936 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in Pittsburgh, first NFL game, Thanksgiving wknd

1. Is there people going to bars to watch football and drink beer on thanksgiving, and are the bars open untill late? I'm not sure if i should take the plane on friday, or if it's worth travelling one day earlier for thanksgiving if everybody stays at home that day. I'm travelling from Norway.

I can't say for sure which places will be open, but I'm sure there will be some on the South Side that are open on Thanksgiving day.

2. Is Pittsburgh a OK place to go as a visiting supporter(Packers), are the people friendly to visitors in jerseys etc?

You won't have any problems - you aren't an enemy combatant! And Pittsburgh is a very friendly place, even for Cheeseheads.

3. Is there any must do things or bars/tailgates to go on before the match?

Plenty of places on the North Shore will be open pre-game, and Stage AE has a tailgate party. See this link:

steelers.com/fan-zone/stage-ae-tailgate.html

Hope this helps! Safe travels, and GO STEELERS! :)

Mentioned in this post
South Side
South Side
239 Reviews
Pittsburgh, PA
Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
Stage AE
Stage AE
100 Reviews
Pittsburgh, PA
Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
636 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in Pittsburgh, first NFL game, Thanksgiving wknd

There will be a lot of people watching football on TV on Thanksgiving Day, Thursday, November 23, but it won't be the Steelers/Packers game. (We don't call it a "match"). The three games on that day are Vikings/Lions in the early afternoon, Chargers/Cowboys in the late afternoon, and Giants/Redskins in the evening.

The Steelers/Packers Thanksgiving weekend game is Sunday evening, November 26.

I can't imagine any bar in the city not showing these games on their TVs on either day

Tailgate parties are generally events organized by families and friends often with each contributing food, drink, and cooking equipment. Although there is a lot of camaraderie among adjacent groups, they are essentially private parties, though if you are the gregarious sort, you might be invited to join one. (Your Green Bay clothing may not help.)

The Steelers holds its own tailgate party for both locals and out-of-towners who otherwise would not be tailgating and for those unable to afford or just unwilling to pay for tickets. It's inside and outside Stage AE, a concert venue across Art Rooney Ave. from Heinz Field. It draws a big crowd. There will be TV screens, live entertainment, and games and other things to do. You'll be able to listen to the pregame radio show. Admission is free, but you will pay for food. The party begins before the game and continues during and after the game.

If you're looking for a single ticket for yourself, you shouldn't have any problem finding one. Price per ticket for the Steelers/Packers game are listing today for over $140 and up, way up.Multiple tickets for adjacent seat will likely not be available. Go to these sites:

ticketmaster.com (the official ticket seller)

ticketexchangebyticketmaster.com (the official NFL ticket reseller}

stubhub.com (a legitimate ticket reseller)

And be aware that hotel room rates, especially those at hotels near Heinz Field and in Downtown and the Strip District, go sky high for Steelers home games starting about a minute after its schedule is announced and go higher and higher as the game day approaches. You should look for game tickets and hotels NOW

Edited: 09 August 2017, 18:11
Mentioned in this post
Green Bay
Green Bay
Wisconsin
Stage AE
Stage AE
100 Reviews
Pittsburgh, PA
Heinz Field
Heinz Field
1,850 Reviews
Pittsburgh, PA
The Strip District
The Strip District
2,547 Reviews
Pittsburgh, PA
Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in Pittsburgh, first NFL game, Thanksgiving wknd

Thank you so much for the help. I have now booked a stay from friday to tuesday on Homewood Suites by Hilton, the flights in on thursday was too expensive. Looking for tickets as we speak. Will definitly check out the tailgate at Stage AE. Thanks again for the help!

Edited: 14 August 2017, 16:18
Mentioned in this post
Stage AE
Stage AE
100 Reviews
Pittsburgh, PA
Easton, Connecticut
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in Pittsburgh, first NFL game, Thanksgiving wknd

As a Packer fan you probably won't be hassled since you're not a division rival. It all depends on fan behavior. Heinz Field has a fan friendly policy and the Steelers have ads on the jumbo tron to encourage civil behavior by and to all fans.

If you get tickets, I always try to sit on visitor side since that area has the Great Hall behind it and better food options. The Great Hall is legacy area for famous Steelers and if you're a Steelers fan or even just a knowledgeable football fan, awesome.

Mentioned in this post
Heinz Field
Heinz Field
1,850 Reviews
Pittsburgh, PA
Reply to: First time in Pittsburgh, first NFL game, Thanksgiving wknd
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted