We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Washington, DC, to Pittsburgh PA

Denmark
Level Contributor
19 posts
143 reviews
Save Topic
From Washington, DC, to Pittsburgh PA

Hello. My family and I (two adults + two teens) are gonna drive from Wash. to Pittsb. in the middle of july this year.

What shouldn't we miss? Are there any quaint villages? Or...what should we see?

Pittsburgh, PA
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Washington, DC, to Pittsburgh PA

People do not visit the U.S. because of our quaint villages. We don't have any. For quaintness I guess you could go to Williamsburg, Virginia, which is southeast of D.C. and a restored/recreated colonial town.

There are, however, many interesting sights. It is a pretty drive between Washington D.C. and Pittsburgh and takes about 4 hours under best conditions of weather and traffic. The main attractions en route are Gettysburg (a major civil war battle site) and Fallingwater (Frank Lloyd Wright's most famous private home).

Info. for Gettysburg: http://www.nps.gov/archive/gett/home.htm

Info. for Fallingwater: http://www.paconserve.org/index-fw1.asp

Hope you have a good time. But in general I don't think we do quaintness well. We're better at fast and loud.

Dover, Del-a-where?
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: From Washington, DC, to Pittsburgh PA

I love going on the smaller roads to get there. I am from Pittsburgh and come from the Dover De area. We go the longer way up to the turnpike and catch it in Harrisburgh. Try not to miss Lancaster... the Amish shops are really nice and so are the Antiques.

There are plenty of smaller towns on the way.. you just need to keep an eye out.. I love Paradise.. it is not far from Strausburgh (which by the way has a great railroad) and Gap (another small town with lots of amish)

Just be cautious.. there are alot of curvy roads and the Amish drive very close to or on the roads.. so drive carefully if you cant see around the corner.. This is from personal experience of almost hitting a carrage once.

If you dont mind a longer trip.. the smaller access roads near the turnpike are great for the smaller things.. OH.. and I forgot about Millers.. they are an amish eatery and quilt shop... very good food.. but on the more expencive side.

Have a great trip!

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
113 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Washington, DC, to Pittsburgh PA

These are some things I would suggest for your trip:

Try to catch a game at PNC Park (you'll love it even if you don't enjoy baseball), Kennywood Amusment Park, Carnegie Science Center, take a stroll through the Strip District on Saturday morning (lots of neat shopping), and/or take the incline to Mt. Washington. You may also want to check out city events closer to the date of your arrival - often you will find some type of festival or concert at the Point. Enjoy your trip - Pittsburgh is really an amazing place with so much to do!!!

maryland
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: From Washington, DC, to Pittsburgh PA

honestly not sure how many miles or time this would add to the trip - but think Harpers Ferry where MD, VA and WV come together is an interesting town/area and depending on your route might be feasable?

How much time are you planning to give to the drive?

Denmark
Level Contributor
19 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Washington, DC, to Pittsburgh PA

Thank you all. We've been considering things and have thought of going to Gettysburg for a couple of hours. Is that stupid, I mean only spending a few hours at this historical site? Can we get any idea of the place in just a few hours? However that is our option...

CT
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From Washington, DC, to Pittsburgh PA

for a quaint town, how about New Hope, PA or Frenchtown, Nj? I think it's a mistake to say there are no quaint small towns in America!! We aren't as old as Europe of course, and maybe they aren't as well known outside of their region, but come on! I am from PA and currently live in New England, we have village greens, some even have gazebo's, lovely homes, antique shops etc!

Elizabethville...
Level Contributor
199 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From Washington, DC, to Pittsburgh PA

Vinther: Gettysburg is always a great idea. Also, some might say it is also a quaint town.

As far as time to see things is concerned, you can certainly get a tape or CD audio guide to take you and your car through some of the battlefield areas in a few hours time. There is something you should keep in mind however.

From Washington, DC to the Gettysburg area, you should plan on about a 1 3/4 hrs drive, traffic permitting. To get from Gettysburg to Pittsburgh, it will take you approximately 3 1/2 hrs.

So, the question is how much time to you want to be spending behind the wheel?

Denmark
Level Contributor
19 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: From Washington, DC, to Pittsburgh PA

Uh, InsanePA, You really put Your finger on it! I don't know how long we want to drive...

But: We have been counting on that day as a "driving day", so I guess we will do it that way. Will it be absolutely hopeless (traffic wise) getting out of Washington on the 5th of July?Any hours we definitely shouldn't drive?

Thanks for alle the answers, You've been really helpful!

hagerstown,md.
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: From Washington, DC, to Pittsburgh PA

depending on the traffic i-68 is breathtaking through western md. and west virginia then into pa. via 1-79.i live outside of dc and grew up in piitsburgh and can tell you if theres traffic on the pa. turnpike [i76]can be a nightmare.do mapquest and try the turnoff into rt. 40 which takes you into uniontown,pa.can be a liitle long but you can do whitewater rafting on the yough or sightsee at summit point it's beyond beautiful in the summer .

Pennsylvania
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: From Washington, DC, to Pittsburgh PA

While in Pittsburgh there is the incline. Also the Gateway Clipper. Check with AAA if you belong there are things to see.