We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Washington, DC, to Pittsburgh PA

Which Pittsburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Denmark
Level Contributor
19 posts
138 reviews
Save Topic
From Washington, DC, to Pittsburgh PA

Hello. My family and I (two adults + two teens) are gonna drive from Wash. to Pittsb. in the middle of july this year.

What shouldn't we miss? Are there any quaint villages? Or...what should we see?

Pittsburgh, PA...
Level Contributor
262 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: From Washington, DC, to Pittsburgh PA

I second terp41s suggestion of I68 through western Maryland. The traffic isn't nearly as bad as the PA Turnpike. I would also say that the comment that there are no quaint towns is nonsense. One to visit is Berkeley Springs, WV. Head west from Washington DC on Route 66, stopping at some wineries near Front Royal, Virginia, then north on I-81 to Winchester, VA and then 522 to Berkeley Springs. It is a spa/resort town, with nice shops, and there should be interesting events going on at that time. After you visit Berkeley Springs, continue west/north on 522 and connect with I-68 west. You can also get off of I-68 and follow Route 40 which parallels I-68 for quite a while, and takes you through many small towns. The scenery is beautiful in western Maryland. You'll have a much better drive if you stay far away from the PA Turnpike.

Orlando
Level Contributor
40 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: From Washington, DC, to Pittsburgh PA

ScaldisNoel is exactly correct. The Berkeley Springs route between Washington DC and Pittsburgh is best and Berkeley Springs is a quaint place to stop and explore for a while. Here is Berkeley Springs’ website:

http://www.berkeleysprings.com

You might also take the excellent advice to go to Fallingwater, the famous Frank Lloyd Wright house but you MUST get reservations in advance -- it is quite popular and since it is a home, the space for tours is limited. An alternative near Fallingwater is Kentuck Knob also by Frank Lloyd Wright, in Uniontown PA.

Gettysburg is a wonderful place (I have been there often) and of course the turning point of the Civil War. BUT... in the middle of July it is high tourist season and the town is quite small and very crammed with traffic and visitors, as is the battlefield. Unless you are an AVID Civil War buff, I would say that you would find it more frustrating than fun in July.

For an alternative quaint place, consider going to the town of Ligonier, after Berkeley Springs. and then on to Pittsburgh. It is a small town in the mountains with quaint shops around a center park with a gazebo-type band stand. Many of the well-to-do people of Pittsburgh have summer homes in the Ligonier area. Here is their town website:

http://www.ligonier.com

Pittsburgh is a surprisingly beautiful city and you will want to eat up on Mt. Washington, I recommend the Grand View Saloon as it has the best views at the lowest prices. Since you will have a car you can drive up--the drive is breathtaking. Then, park, eat, take photos and ride the Duquesne or Monongahela Incline up and down for fun.

The Oakland section of Pittsburgh is famous for all of these... The Nationality Rooms in the base of the Cathedral of Learning (the skyscraper main building of the University of Pittsburgh), also on the campus is Heinz Chapel and the Stephen Foster memorial, both worth a visit. The Carnegie Museum is near by (walking distance) and has world class art--as well as fine dinosaur skeletons, etc.

Orlando
Level Contributor
40 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: From Washington, DC, to Pittsburgh PA

P.S. Consider lunch at this lovely spot... in Jennerstown, PA, The Green Gables Restaurant... Well worth going out of your way for!

www.mountainplayhouse.org/gg/index.html

14. Re: From Washington, DC, to Pittsburgh PA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2009, 00:17