We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

reply to "Needsavacation"

Denmark
Level Contributor
19 posts
150 reviews
Save Topic
reply to "Needsavacation"

Thanks "needsavacation", I can see your point about fast and loud, after all that is the reason why we from Good Ole Europe go to the states in the frist place... We hadn't considered Gettysburg but now we will.

By the way: I can see on the map that some of the route is on toll road. Is that expensive? To be avoided - or is it just a small sum??

Mentioned in this post
Gettysburg
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
Pittsburgh, PA
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: reply to "Needsavacation"

The toll is $6.50 from Breezewood, where you would most likely get on, to Pittsburgh. A little less if you get off the turnpike earlier to go to Fallingwater. So it is cheap enough that it isn't worth taking a longer route to avoid the fee.

Fallingwater is really worth the detour if anyone in your family is interested in architecture. It is in a beautiful setting. At Ohiopyle, a nearby town, you can go whitewater rafting which is a lot of fun. There are organized trips offering different levels of difficulty, and here is a link to one company which seems to have a wide range of activities: www.ohiopyletradingpost.com/guidedlower.htm. If you do decide to pursue this, I suggest you post a specific question on this forum to find out more because I haven't had very recent experience with this and don't know which company would be best.

Mentioned in this post
Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
Fallingwater
Fallingwater
2,201 Reviews
Mill Run, PA
2. Re: reply to "Needsavacation"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 21:19