We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food & Fun Suggestions

Hockey Land
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Topic
Food & Fun Suggestions

Group of 4 men and 2 boys (10 & 14) arriving Saturday Dec 29th to watch the pens vs sabres.

Staying at the Marriott accross from Mellon Arena.

Please offer your suggestions for well know good quality pubs or sports bars that welcome kids.

After the game, looking for a good watering hole without kids as they will be back at the hotel.

Prefer to stay within general are of the hotel/arena so as not to drive or cab.

Also, what fun activities would be suggested for the boys?

Everyone is easy going, looking for touristy or sightseeing things,

not really into museums or bowling. Anything sports related, shopping, hidden treasures. Fun Stuff!

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food & Fun Suggestions

One thing I always recommend is the Duquesne Incline. You won't see anything like it anywhere else.

Once you hit the top of Mt. Washington, have a nice meal at Coal Hill Steakhouse.

As for someplace close, the Steelhead Lounge is in your hotel.

Pittsburgh, PA
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food & Fun Suggestions

There is an outdoor skating rink downtown at PPG Place which is fun and close.

The Heinz History/ Sports Center is on the edge of town (about 13th and Smallman) and because of the sports it might be interesting even if you don't usually like museums. I haven't been there for a while; hopefully someone else can comment on the sports aspect of this place.

Right next to Heinz Field on the North Side (walking distance from town) is the Science Center--lots of hands-on stuff so this can be entertaining, but it does smack of education and I know that may make it unappealing.

The National Aviary is also on the North Side and is definitely worth going to if your group likes birds.

Lots of places to eat downtown, although the funkier places are further afield. Check out previous forum postings for an idea about restaurants.

Depending on your interests--the Pittsburgh History and Landmarks group does walking tours of downtown Pittsburgh--good for people with an interest in history and architecture. Might be chilly in December but worth checking out:

http://www.phlf.org/phlf-tours-events/

Enjoy your visit.

Texas
Level Contributor
242 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food & Fun Suggestions

Speaking only as a visitor to Pittsburgh, you gotta try Primanti Brothers in the Strip District. Have no idea of closeness to your hotel area, but we're glad we didn't miss it. We had only one full day but squeezed in late lunch on a Saturday after locals recommended it as "the Pittsburgh" thing to do. We also did the incline (great views) and had a nice dinner at the Coal Hill Steakhouse but it's pricey. Think you all would love Primanti's.

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food & Fun Suggestions

Do check out the menu at Primanti's and be aware that the cole slaw and french fries are served ON the sandwich.

I personally can't stand their food, but it is a 'burgh thing.

Hockey Land
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Food & Fun Suggestions

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

I did have a look at the menu and it seems like it's worth a try.

Prices are good. As this will not be our only meal in town, we will likely give it a go.

Happy Holidays to all

Texas
Level Contributor
242 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food & Fun Suggestions

Gypsy, let me tack on here a big thank-you for advice on staying in Greentree (so convenient) and Coal Hill Steakhouse. We had a great time in Pittsburgh and made the most of our short visit--took in the Chihuly Exhibit (gorgeous!), the Strip District (wild during market!) w/Primanti's (yumm!), took the sightseeing boat ride on a beautiful afternoon, and ended with the incline around dusk and then window seat dining at Coal Hill enjoying not only the beautiful lighted skyline but views of the big screen at the Pirates game :)

Loved your city!

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food & Fun Suggestions

Mimi, I'm so glad everything worked out without a hitch and that you had a great time!

Vacaville...
Level Contributor
676 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Food & Fun Suggestions

You don't say how long you'll be in the city, I'm going to assume just the weekend...

So take yourselves over to Station Square (just across the Smithfield Street Bridge)...in the Freight House Shops there is a "bar" it has Airhockey, video games, pool tables and they don't mind kids. Sorry I can't remember the name of it though. There are windows and a nice area to sit and hang out while the kids play.

There are several "sports" stores there as well so check out all the sports teams "stuff"...

Many restaurants to choose from there as well...then walk over to the incline as mentioned before.

I don't have any suggestions for bars after the game, unless you want to take a taxi over to the South Side...maybe someone else can offer a good suggestion within walking distance to your hotel or you may find yourself back at Station Square.

Have a great time!

Pittsburgh, Pa.
Level Contributor
501 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Food & Fun Suggestions

There is not a whole lot in the immediate vicinity of the arena. After the game, you can take the subway over to Station Square; there are several bars and clubs. Downtown, try August Henry's saloon, Olive or Twist, the Tap Room at the Omni William Penn or the bars at the Marriott or Doubletree. Go Pens!

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,144 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Food & Fun Suggestions

I think everyone in your group would enjoy a visit to the Carnegie Science Museum and Sportsworks located near Heinz Field. Even for people who don't enjoy museums, these two are really fun because they are hands-on. We were there a couple years ago and I remember that you could, among other things, try to outrun an Olympic sprinter and pitch a fastball. My kids, who were teens at the time, enjoyed it and so did we. In addition to the hands-on exhibits at the Science Musuem, they also have an IMAX theatre with a lot of cool movies.

Check out their websites for more info:

www.carnegiesciencecenter.org/default.aspx…

www.carnegiesciencecenter.org/default.aspx…