We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In Addition to a Pirates Game

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
47 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
In Addition to a Pirates Game

I am a male in my thirties, and will be traveling to a few baseball games around the country later this year (by myself), including a Pirates game. I will have about a day in Pittsburgh; what else should I do when I am there? Any suggestions? The Warhol Museum? The Aviary?

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
18 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In Addition to a Pirates Game

The Carnegie Museum in Oakland just redid their dinosaur exhibit so that may be a good bet.

Also, the "Bodies" exhibit (if it is still running) near the Carnegie Science Center close to PNC Park will be worth the visit.

Mentioned in this post
Carnegie Science Center
Carnegie Science Center
1,077 Reviews
Pittsburgh, PA
PNC Park
PNC Park
5,346 Reviews
Pittsburgh, PA
Pittsburgh, Pa.
Level Contributor
501 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In Addition to a Pirates Game

Welcome to Pittsburgh! I think the Aviary is wonderful, and the Warhol is definitely worth a look. I always suggest first-time visitors take one of the inclines up to Mount Washington for the view. In the daytime, a stroll through the Strip District is fun, as well as Carson Street on the South Side, daytime just for strolling and nighttime for drinking.

Mentioned in this post
Mount Washington
Mount Washington
2,548 Reviews
Pittsburgh, PA
The Strip District
The Strip District
2,460 Reviews
Pittsburgh, PA
South Side
South Side
232 Reviews
Pittsburgh, PA
Pittsburgh, PA
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: In Addition to a Pirates Game

The Mattress Factory is an interesting art museum

(http://www.mattress.org) on the North Side, not far from the Aviary and Warhol Museum. Riding one of the inclines takes you up to Mt. Washington for great views of the city, and is not something every city offers. There are lots of activities to choose from, it just depends what kind of day you want to have. The tourist attractions are all pretty close to each other, within a few miles, so you can pack a lot in to a short time.

One field trip to consider would be Fallingwater, but you would need to rent a car, and it would take most of the day.

Mentioned in this post
Mattress Factory
Mattress Factory
230 Reviews
Pittsburgh, PA
Washington
Washington
Pennsylvania
Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
767 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: In Addition to a Pirates Game

If you are into history there is a history museum about a mile or so from PNC Park. There is also a pittsburgh sports history there, although it has more than just the major teams (also had high school stuff). I'm big on history so I always look for history museums when I'm vacationing.

As previously mentioned, I would also go up to Mount Washington. Great views of the skyline of Pittsburgh, which I think has one of the prettiest. I've been up there many times, but still love going up there.

Mentioned in this post
PNC Park
PNC Park
5,346 Reviews
Pittsburgh, PA
Mount Washington
Mount Washington
2,548 Reviews
Pittsburgh, PA
5. Re: In Addition to a Pirates Game

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2009, 07:19