We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Between Pittsburgh and DC -Lodging?

Indiana
Level Contributor
163 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Between Pittsburgh and DC -Lodging?

I would like to drive approximately 2 hours past Pittsburgh on my way to DC, but can not find much lodging, the towns seemsmall. anyone familiar with a nice place to stay?

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,427 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Between Pittsburgh and DC -Lodging?

Two hours past Pittsburgh on the turnpike on your way to D.C. is pretty much going to bring you to Breezewood. It's full of fast food and motel choices because it's where the Turnpike hits I-70 heading toward Maryland and Virginia (i.e. lots of traffic).

It's not the most scenic place in the world, but it will do if you're just looking for a place to stop for the night.

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,847 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Between Pittsburgh and DC -Lodging?

Don't take the turnpike at all!

Keep heading straight down I-79 to Morgantown, then pick up 68 east.

You will be able to find lodging in either Frostburg or Cumberland, MD. Frostburg is a college town and will have various hotels and motels around. Cumberland is the halfway point and has a lot of fast food places and such right off the highway. Cumberland is at the bottom of the mountain below Frostburg.

I used to work in Baltimore and made the trip back to Pittsburgh every week. The turnpike is a longer ride on bad roads and far more dangerous.

Indiana
Level Contributor
163 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Between Pittsburgh and DC -Lodging?

I had thought about this idea, but assumed the turnpike road would allow faster travel speeds and be a better road, too. We are planning on staying in Manassas, unless you know of a better(easier to get the metro) place on the outskirts of DC.

Thank you for the road report. How fast can you travel on 68?

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,847 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Between Pittsburgh and DC -Lodging?

It's been a long time since I've had to run back and forth on that road, but if I recall, the speed limit was 70 MPH.

The PA turnpike is a lousy road. There is always construction, frequent accidents, and going through the mountains is a real pain because of it.

68 is a wide, clean, well maintained road that is, IMO, a much easier route east.

If Frostburg is too far of a haul for you from Pgh, you can find plenty of places to stay in Morgantown, WV. Also a huge college town with plenty of hotels to choose from.

As far as staying near DC, Crystal City, VA is nice, and right off the beltway. I have friends who live down there.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,427 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Between Pittsburgh and DC -Lodging?

I'm not familiar with Gypsy's route, but I haven't had any problem with the Turnpike. I've been driving that route a lot during the past 2 years (daughter is a college student) and I've found the Turnpike to be in good condition. Perhaps I've just been lucky or perhaps things have improved on the Turnpike in the past couple years, but I've never run into traffic, an accident or road construction.

I'm planning on going again this weekend, so maybe I can give an update on conditions when I get back.

Pittsburgh, Pa.
Level Contributor
499 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Between Pittsburgh and DC -Lodging?

You might want to try the new Bedford Springs Hotel, it's a restored grand-old-hotel. I've not been there but read newspaper stories about it. Also the Jean Bonnet Inn near Bedford - again, I don't really know anything personally about it, I just see it all the time when I drive the Turnpike. Good luck!

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
761 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Between Pittsburgh and DC -Lodging?

I too make the drive often, while heading to VA. As mentioned, if you take the turnpike and want to go 2 hours, that'll put you in Breezewood.

If you wanted to go about 3.5-4 you could go to Hagerstown or Frederick in Maryland. Those are bigger areas than Breezewood, but if you just want a place to sleep Breezewood is fine.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
238 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Between Pittsburgh and DC -Lodging?

I agree with the previous poster about avoiding the PA Turnpike. I drive it quite often and it is a really a lousy road compared to Interstate 68. I live south of Pittsburgh and any time that I am going to DC I always go via I-68. I-68 is a great road that goes through the mountains of Western MD and hooks up with I-70 outside of Hancock, MD.

As far as lodging goes--you might want to try Rocky Gap Lodge. It is just outside of Cumberland, Maryland, right off of I-68. It is a very nice hotel in Rocky Gap State Park. From there, your drive to DC would be about 2-21/2 hours.

Here is the website: http://www.rockygapresort.com/

Maryland
Level Contributor
89 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Between Pittsburgh and DC -Lodging?

Our daughter will be attending U of Pitt in the fall so we're learning our way around the area. I agree that Rt. 68 through Western Maryland is an easy, comfortable drive and much better than the turnpike.

One of our favorite all-time motels is the Best Western Braddock in LaVale, just outside Cumberland and right off the interstate (see description below). Great indoor pool, nice rooms, and a good stopping point.

I also agree that Rocky Gap is very nice, but I think it's more a destination stop than a quick overnight place.

Good luck.

Best Western Braddock Motor Inn

1268 National Highway

La Vale, MD 21502

Nightly Rates: ($62.99 - $109.99)

2 Star

This La Vale hotel is located just 5 miles from historic Cumberland and is ideal lodging for both business and leisure travelers. The Best Western Braddock Motor Inn is located near attractions such as Fort Cumberland, Thrasher Carriage Museum and the C & O Canal. Hotel guests can also be at the Wisp Ski area and Deep Creek Lake within an hour's drive. Business travelers will appreciate being close to corporate locations such as Alliant Techsystems, Superfos Incorporated and Biederlack Corporation. Visitors will enjoy the year round local events including Heritage Days, Frostburg Derby Day and the Western Maryland Street Rod Round Up. Each well-appointed room features cable television with HBO? and high-speed Internet access. The hotel also features a complimentary continental breakfast each morning, indoor heated pool, hot tub, sauna, exercise facility, picnic area, tanning bed and game room. Guests will also enjoy dining at the on-site restaurant, Gehauf's Restaurant. Looking for a cold beer or glass of wine with dinner, then try Henny's Grill and Bar, also on-site. A meeting space to accommodate 70 people is available as well. Pets are welcome! A friendly staff is ready to ensure a comfortable and memorable stay. Make an online reservation today and save at this La Vale hotel!

state college, pa
Level Contributor
263 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Between Pittsburgh and DC -Lodging?

i have to drive from pittsburgh to DC this weekend; having never done so i am curious about the talk of interstate 68 as i hate driving the turnpike; please

tell me if it's much longer mile wise or time wise...i prefer to run as close to 70mph as possible..weather looks fine for the drive on friday but should i avoid the 68 route into West Va. if it is bad weather; ie. fog, rain, snow? is there any rest stops or convience stores along where a potty break is possible?

thanks!!