We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bed and Breakfast

farmington Hills MI
Level Contributor
686 posts
202 reviews
Save Topic
Bed and Breakfast

We booked a new Bed and Breakfast called the Parador for a family visit next month. I saw that it got one review on trip advisor, and it was very positive. The

website looks really nice. My main question is whether it's in a safe neighborhood to walk around? It is located on Western Ave. (900 block) Does anyone have any familiarity with this facility/location?

Thanks for you help.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
804 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bed and Breakfast

The neighborhood is a mixed bag rich and poor. The location is the North Side of Pittsburgh. Use common sense as you would in any large city. While you are here be sure to walk to West Park and visit Gus and Ya Ya's for a dynamite ice ball and some popcorn. The stand has been at the same location forever.

Pittsburgh, Pa.
Level Contributor
499 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bed and Breakfast

I walk past the Parador a lot when I'm at the nearby Humane Society and I've never had a problem, even at night. You're right on a main street and can walk easily to West Park, the Aviary or the Children's Museum. There is a nice restaurant nearby called Muriel's.

That said, it is indeed a transitional neighborhood. There are some very expensive houses nearby (take a walk down Beech Street if you get a chance) and some not-so-nice areas. The Parador has a parking lot adjacent, and from what I can see the inn looks very nice. It would be ideal for someone staying overnight for a Steelers game.

I say go for it. Please let us know how things turn out.

Berea, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bed and Breakfast

On trips to visit family, I've discovered Legends North Shore, which is in the area east of the Parador. It's a small sunny neighborhood gathering place -- open kitchen, some counter space, blond wood tables set with bright plates and walls with black-and-white sports photos (including scenes I remember from growing up in Pgh.) Wide-ranging menu and daily specials of fresh, honest food. We especially enjoy the homey soups, the rosemary foccacia, the little chilled chunks of fudge and the sassy Saturday waitress Diane.

farmington hills mi
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bed and Breakfast

Thanks for your responses.

We were really hoping to book a place in the University district or Shadyside area since that is where our family lives and we wanted to stay closer to them. Unfortunately it looks like all the decent lodging (2.5 stars or star or higher) is all booked for the week-end that we will be going. There is a graduation going on at U of Pittsburgh(which is the purpose of our visit) so I suspect that is why there is no availability in that area. So unless something opens up closer, we will keep our reservation at the Parador and hope for the best. We'll let you know how it turns out.

Berea, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bed and Breakfast

Chickie-b, how was your stay at the Parador?

farmington Hills MI
Level Contributor
686 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bed and Breakfast

Hi Pat Picks

We won't be staying at the Parador after all for the week-end after next because we found a place near Shadyside (Friendship Suites)that is less than a mile from our relatives. I'll post how that stay is afterwards.

7. Re: Bed and Breakfast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 20:18