We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mural Art

Berea, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Mural Art

Is anyone familiar with the mural of male and female cardinals on a small street east of Federal Street? It's an impressive work of art. Each weekend my husband and I drive 240 miles to and from Pittsburgh to visit a relative in a nursing home on Perrysville Avenue, and I've come to look forward to seeing the cardinals.

I have questions: who created this, why is it here, how was it made? What's the story behind the mural? Can anyone tell me more about it?

Does Pittsburgh have a mural arts program similar to Philadelphia's?

Pittsburgh, PA
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mural Art

The Sprout Fund has sponsored many murals around the city, and though their website does not list them all now it appears that may be coming.

Pittsburgh's mural program is not as extensive as Philadelphia's, from what I've heard of theirs.

Berea, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mural Art

Thanks, Needsavacation. With your post naming the Sprout Fund, I was able to locate a news article from 2003 in Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. (Go to http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/s_153978.html)

Besides the North Side (508 Jacksonia St.), Millvale, Regent Square, Wilkinsburg, Garfield, McKees Rocks, the Strip District and the Hill District were the sites mentioned.

Now even though I know some about the story behind the mural projects, I'm still hoping to find answers for my questions about the cardinals in particular.

Berea, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mural Art

After some more digging I located this about the cardinals (…typepad.com/pittsburgh_dish/2005/08/flap_ov…)

and the artist "Stevo"

(www.stevosphere.com/stevobio/index.html)

A bit of controversy!

Also learned that the correct location is Federal and Parkhurst. The other was an earlier North Side mural. The cardinals were done in 2005.

Maybe someday Pittsburgh will develop mural art tours similar to Philadelphia's.

4. Re: Mural Art

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 10:24