We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating in Pittsburgh

Oswego NY
Level Contributor
25 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Eating in Pittsburgh

We are heading to Pittsburgh later this week (17th - 20th). Any suggestions for places to eat? Primanti's is on the list and I have a recommendation for Pipers Pub. We like all kinds of food. Our preference has always been to the more casual side, nothing too formal. We are jeans and khakis kind of folks. Thank you!

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,859 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eating in Pittsburgh

Take a trip up to Mt. Washington via the Duquesne Incline and enjoy the best view of the city from the outdoor seating at Coal Hill Steakhouse.

Head to Oakland to try the famous O fries.

Oswego NY
Level Contributor
25 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eating in Pittsburgh

We are staying in Oakland where is "O Fries"?

Thanks

Pittsburgh, PA
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eating in Pittsburgh

I love someone who plans the trip around food. My kind of traveler!

The "O" is the "Original Hot Dog Shop" at the corner of Forbes Ave. and Bouquet Street in Oakland, opposite Pitt Law School. Not to deter you, but it is locally known as "the Dirty O". I don't let that deter me, I love the fries and the kosher all beef hot dogs.

A funky little casual place is the cafe at Enrico's Biscotti in the Strip District, on Penn Ave. near 21st Street. The biscotti bakery is the storefront, the cafe entrance is to the left side of it toward the back of the building. A fun place to go if you're hanging out in the Strip anyway, although maybe you'll be eating at Primanti's which is not far away at 18th and Smallman. Food will be better at Enrico's, but I know the Primanti's sandwiches are famous so maybe that's just something that has to be done, like riding a gondola in Venice (well, not much like it).

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,819 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eating in Pittsburgh

If you are staying in Oakland, you might enjoy eating at Joe Mama's. We usually end up there at least once when I visit my daughter at Pitt and we love the pizzas.

Also, we're big fans of Dave and Andy's Ice Cream on Atwood Street in Oakland. It's supposed to be the best ice cream in Pittsburgh.

Oswego NY
Level Contributor
25 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eating in Pittsburgh

Anybody ever heard of the Church Brew Works? This sounds like my kind of place, interesting menu and microbrews. Been there???

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
173 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Eating in Pittsburgh

Love the Church Brew works. Pious Monk Dunkel is my favorite brew and they have an interesting menu. The restoration of the church is beautiful, as long as you don't have any guilt about drinking in a former church (The altar holds the beer tanks). Try to check it out.

http://www.churchbrew.com/

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
804 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eating in Pittsburgh

Ditto, we enjoyed our dinner and plan to return soon.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
804 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eating in Pittsburgh

Almost forgot, Penn Brewery and Max's on the North Side. Most excellent if you enjoy German food. The menus are fairly large so should be able to find something to your liking along with a few beers.

Sassy Marie's is another restaurant on the North Side with great food.

Oswego NY
Level Contributor
25 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Eating in Pittsburgh

Vinceygirl,

Can you be more specific about Max's? Is it Max & Erma's Max's Allegheny Tavern or someplace else? These are the ones my GPS recognizes. Is there another and what is the street address?

Thanks,

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
173 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Eating in Pittsburgh

Max's Allegheny Tavern is on the Northside and is a traditional German restaurant with a good selection of german beers.

http://www.maxsalleghenytavern.com/

Max and Erma's has several locations, one downtown, and is kind of like an Applebee's in terms of menu.

http://www.maxandermas.com/menu/default.aspx