We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Steelers game for me...what to do?

Which Pittsburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Scottsdale, AZ
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First Steelers game for me...what to do?

For my 40th my wife surprised me with tix to the Steelers home opener this weekend. I am a lifelong Steelers fan, and want to take in all of what gameday is about. What are some must see and must do's for gameday/weekend?

We get in on Friday and will be leaving on Monday, so is there anything else we should do?

We are staying at the Renaissance. Clsoe enough to walk to the stadium?

Planning on Primanti's (for a sandwich) and Quaker Steak and Lube (for wings).

Thanks for any advice/help you can provide.

Pittsburgh, PA
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Steelers game for me...what to do?

What a great birthday present! Can't help with Steeler related issues, but I can tell you that the Renaissance is within walking distance to the stadium and is a great hotel.

Oh, maybe one Steeler thing: my sisters always like to go to this store in the Strip District for Steeler stuff when they visit. Not a high end sports memorabilia place, but fun:

http://www.mikefeinbergcompany.com/about.html

Many other stores nearby sell Steeler items too, as do vendors along the streets.

All these places are very close to the original Primanti's on 18th Street, so you'll be nearby anyway.

Pittsburgh, Pa.
Level Contributor
499 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Steelers game for me...what to do?

Go Steelers! I would say going up the incline is a must-do. You can walk or ride the subway to Station Square to go up the Mon incline. You might also want to take a ride on the Gateway Clipper or take a Just Ducky Tour, just to get the lay of the land.

The bars near Heinz Field should be buzzing even on Saturday, especially if it is a nice day. Check in on Bettis' Grille 36 to be sure.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
755 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Steelers game for me...what to do?

You could walk to the stadium. I'd suggest taking a couple beers with you and walking around the lots and take in everyone tailgating.

Since you won't have a car right there, I'd suggest going over to Jerome Bettis' place after you've taken it all in (and who knows, you'll probably make some friends and just stay with them). It's right beside Heinz Field on the riverfront. It'll probably be packed, but it's a nice place. It's surprisingly not that expensive either (although, I haven't had any drinks there, so I'm not sure of the price on them).

That may be better for after the game though. Not sure what time they open, although, I'm sure on gameday they open up early enough to get a nice buzz before the game.

A must, as mentioned, is taking a ride up on the incline. It's a great view for sure. Also some restaurants and shops in Station Square that you could check out.

I don't know what you like, but if you guys like a "party" type atmosphere, I'd head to the South Side. There are bars on each side of the street (I don't even know how many blocks it goes, probably at least 6). Although, I'll warn you, there are people everywhere around there on the weekend (and probably even more so that school is back in).

I haven't been to the stript district in a while, but it'd probably be interesting on Saturday morning. Could make that part of the Primanti's run.

The Heinz history center has a sports history museum if you're interested in that kind of stuff.

We also have a great zoo. Not within walking distance, but probably about a 20 minute drive.

There is plenty to do right around the area, and alot of it is within walking distance. You could even check with your hotel, they may provide a shuttle to Station Square. It's actually probably only a little over a mile away, but I've personally never walked it. Not sure if all the bridges have pedestrian walkways or not.

Hope you have a great time!!

Scottsdale, AZ
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: First Steelers game for me...what to do?

Thanks for the information! Really looking forward to the trip.

I will report back.

Harrisburg, PA
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First Steelers game for me...what to do?

Well, you lucky dog! First of all you better kiss your wife! Then all I can recommend is that when you get there you go down to the field and kiss the ground that Jerome Bettis walked on! Anyway, that's what I'd do!!

Sorry, I can't really help, but I couldn't resist the opportunity to respond to someone SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO lucky!

Have a great time!!!

paangwife

(http://patravellerblog.webs.com/)

Houston
Level Contributor
223 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First Steelers game for me...what to do?

I'm doing the same for my husbands 35th birthday!! He is so excited. We don't leave until tomorrow. Have a great time.

Angie

Cherry Hill, NJ
Level Contributor
6,651 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Steelers game for me...what to do?

All my suggestions have been listed already. Lucky you!

Finz Up, Frank Bama!

Enjoy the Game!

Cherry Hill, NJ
Level Contributor
6,651 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Steelers game for me...what to do?

How'd you make out?

Obviously, the game couldn't have been better!!!

Scottsdale, AZ
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: First Steelers game for me...what to do?

First off, my wife is the greatest.

We had a great time. The people of Pittsburgh are good, friendly people. Reminds me of where I grew up in the Midwest.

After we got in on Friday we went to Eleven. Nice place and good food. The Renniasance was fine, and the location was great. It is a great sight when you walk out the front doors and right across the river is beautiful PNC Park.

Saturday we went to the Southside and had lunch at Fatheads. Great sammies, and great wing sauce. Then we went to the strip district and walked around. Fun atmosphere. I love urban neighborhoods like Southside and the strip area. We went to the History museum and enjoyed walking around, especially the Steelers display, although the Heinz display was interesting, too.

Saturday night we went to Lidia's. Did not care for this place. It's just an Olive Garden with different decor.

Sunday was gameday! Phenomenal! I don't know what else to say, except this will be an annual trip. We grabbed some breakfast at Bettis' place, then walked around the tailgate area. Great atmosphere. Got to our seats early and enjoyed every minute of the experience. The stadium crew actually asked to leave after the game, becuase we were hanging around and taking it all in.

Sunday night we went to Mad Mex. Living in AZ I have to have some chips, salsa, and a marg every week. It was fine.

Monday morning we took the stadium tour. For those of you that live in the area and have not done this I highly recommend it. They take you everywhere.

Of course I bought a ton of Steelers stuff. I think its too easy to get carried away.

Looking forward to coming back and seeing more of the City and more of the Steelers.

10. Re: First Steelers game for me...what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 21:22