We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Pittsburgh to State College for Penn St game

San Diego
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Topic
Driving from Pittsburgh to State College for Penn St game

I'm flying into Pitts this friday from San Diego for the Chargers/Steelers game Sunday but I also have tix for the Penn State game on Saturday at noon. Can anybody tell me how long I can expect it to take me to drive to State College on a game day? I'm guessing there's quite a bit of traffic coming out of Pittsburgh heading up to the game? how are the roads etc? I did the mapquest thing and it estimates 2 hours and 30 min but I'm wondering if it will be more than that on a game day? Thanks!

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,869 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Pittsburgh to State College for Penn St game

I don't think you'll have too much trouble with the drive, but if the directions told you to go 22 east to 220, I think you might want to rethink that. I've been on 22 through New Alexandria and it's 2 lane a lot of the way.

You're probably better off taking 79 north to 80 east.

McKees Rocks, PA
Level Contributor
461 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Pittsburgh to State College for Penn St game

Via 22 the distance is about 140 miles.

Via 79 then 80, the distance is about 225 miles.

22 can be difficult as the above poster says.

I would put the time closer to 3 hours via 22.

There is really no good way to get there :(.

You are a real gluten for punishment. That is a lot of driving for one weekend when you combine it with a couple of games.

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,869 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Pittsburgh to State College for Penn St game

Woah, I didn't realize it added that many miles.

Bmer, would you be leaving from downtown or from the airport area?

Pittsburgh PA
Level Contributor
22 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Pittsburgh to State College for Penn St game

Didn't I read that they were getting really close to finishing I-99 into State College? You might also want to check out taking the PA Turnpike (I-76) to I-99.

San Diego
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Pittsburgh to State College for Penn St game

Yes, I AM a glutton for punsihment! I work for the Chargers and travel to all of our away games so in the past 5 weeks I've been to Miami, Buffalo, London, New Orleans and now Pittsburgh this weekend! I'm staying the Sheraton Station Square but I just found out one of my co-workers is meeting a group of about 25 people back there and they've chartered a bus to go to State College so I'm just going to hop on the bus with them which is kind of a relief! Thanks for all the input guys!

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,869 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Pittsburgh to State College for Penn St game

That is a great solution! Enjoy your visit!

McKees Rocks, PA
Level Contributor
461 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Pittsburgh to State College for Penn St game

A Charger employee??? I assumed we were helping a Steeler fan living within the enemy camp!

Oh and don't worry about your job. Someday you will find a good job where you can hold your head up high. :)

Just kidding of course. Sounds like a cool job. And just in case you are wondering. Yes I will sit on the Charger bench at the game but I will be wearing my Ward jersey. :)

I think the bus is a great idea. Leave the hassle up to the experts. Have a great time in the Burgh.

Tell the team not to forget their long underwear. It is going to be cold! :) Well at least for you guys. :)

8. Re: Driving from Pittsburgh to State College for Penn St game

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2009, 08:18