We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Pittsburgh Downtown Safe?

UpstateNY
Level Contributor
339 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Is Pittsburgh Downtown Safe?

We are traveling through Pittsburgh next weekend for an overnight. I just booked the DoubleTree Hotel at One Bigelow Square. Is this area safe for a family with 2 small kids?

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,406 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Pittsburgh Downtown Safe?

Ummmh, yes...downtown Pittsburgh is safe. Make sure to plan some time on Saturday morning to see the Strip District. Lots of recent posts on other things to do.

UpstateNY
Level Contributor
339 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Pittsburgh Downtown Safe?

We are actually going to check out Il Pizziolo pizza in Mt. Lebanon. Ever been?

Pittsburgh, PA
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,119 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Pittsburgh Downtown Safe?

The pizza is really good at Il Pizza(howeveryouspellit)olo. It is upscale kind of pizza.

Pittsburgh has loads of good pizza, some funky, some classy. I've read about a new pizza place called Dinette in East Liberty (http://www.dinette-pgh.com) which has been very favorably reviewed, but I've never eaten there.

Vacaville...
Level Contributor
676 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Pittsburgh Downtown Safe?

You won't have any problems but your best bet is to hold your childs hands at cross walks. Drivers aren't always watching for crosswalk folks...

I'm just sayin...been there, done that with my kids.

I doubt you'll be out during the evening at Market Square, that can be "different" with or without kids.

Hopefully they've cleaned that area up, by the way it's far from your hotel...

Enjoy your time.

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,865 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Pittsburgh Downtown Safe?

The downtown area is safe, and kind of boring.

Check out Station Square and take the kids on a ride up to Mt. Washington on the Incline.

Pittsburgh, Pa.
Level Contributor
501 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Pittsburgh Downtown Safe?

The area is safe, but there's not a lot to do in that particular area. You'll have to walk or drive to attractions. Have fun!

7. Re: Is Pittsburgh Downtown Safe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2009, 09:20