We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants Near the Zoo

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,648 posts
447 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants Near the Zoo

I’m looking for recommendations for a nice place for lunch near the zoo. It is my mother-in-law’s 80th birthday, and she would like to see the baby elephants, plus we were planning on taking her out for lunch/brunch/dinner. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Pittsburgh, PA
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,101 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants Near the Zoo

There are many good choices within a mile or two--the neighborhoods to consider would be Shadyside, East Liberty/Penn Circle, Bloomfield and Lawrenceville. (You could cross the bridge and head for Sharspburg or Aspinwall, but I'm not as familiar with those areas, maybe someone else can make suggestions over there).

Need more info.--do you want Italian or Asian or something else; funky or fancy, high-end or regular? There are of course some other alternatives, but I'm trying to simplify this process. There are a lot of good small restaurants and if you're interested in chain restaurants like P.F. Chang's or Bravo we've got those too but a bit farther away.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,648 posts
447 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants Near the Zoo

OK, good start, now I have areas to look (better than when I started). As for particulars, to answer your questions, funky is probably not the best route, nor do we need anything very fancy. Italian is always a good choice (everyone likes Italion, right?), but type of food is not critical. I'd perfer something other than a chain (you can get that anywhere). Ease of getting to the place from the zoo is important.

Pittsburgh, Pa.
Level Contributor
499 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants Near the Zoo

You'll love the baby elephants. There is not much in the immediate vicinity of the zoo, so you'll have to drive a couple of miles. In Bloomfield, there's Del's for Italian and Tessaro's for burgers. On the North Side, Atria's is a nice locally owned place on the order of a TGI Friday's. Maybe the Walnut Grill in Shadyside. Good luck!

Pittsburgh, PA
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,101 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants Near the Zoo

I'll focus on Italian:

Piccolo Forno: straight down Butler Street from the zoo; I love the food here, and they seem to have corrected the service problems several of us experienced in the past;

Alexanders: on Liberty Ave. in Bloomfield, not far from the zoo;

Enrico's: Ellsworth Avenue in Shadyside

Hope you have a good birthday celebration.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,648 posts
447 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants Near the Zoo

Thanks for the suggestions; looks like some good choices.

New twist to the original question. My wife is the Pittsburgher, so she was thinking about eateries in the Station Square area (we drive right my there on the way to/from the zoo). I did a little seraching and found an interesting sounding place called the Red Star Tavern. Any expereince there?

Pittsburgh, Pa.
Level Contributor
499 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants Near the Zoo

Anything in Station Square will be OK, middle of the road, chain-y stuff. Not bad but nothing life-changing either.

Exceptions: The Hard Rock is overpriced crap, IMO. On the other hand, Grand Concourse is wonderful and has a great view of the river, but a little pricey.

Cherry Hill, NJ
Level Contributor
6,651 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants Near the Zoo

The Red Star is good but a chain-type place.

Here are some elephant pics from our St. Pat's weekend trip:

family.webshots.com/album/570612634SknUTz…

Tarentum,Pa
Level Contributor
105 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants Near the Zoo

I can`t help you with your dining question but I do work seasonally for the zoo. If you have any zoo questions I`ll be happy to answer them if I can.

USA
Level Contributor
54 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurants Near the Zoo

Just a thought...if you will be in Station Square (which is Carson Street) you can head east down Carson into the South Side, which has several restaurants that are independently owned and sure to deliver memories.

There's nothing wrong with Red Star...but why not visit a place that's uniquely Pittsburgh?

Some cool ideas in the South Side:

Cafe du Jour

The Library

Dish

Le Pommier

Fathead's

And if you're looking for a chain, in the South Side there's:

Hofbrauhaus

Cheesecake Factory

McCormick and Schmicks

..all of which are better than Red Star, to me.

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,852 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurants Near the Zoo

From Station Square, take the incline up to Mt. Washington and try Coal Hill Steakhouse, Georgetown Inn, or Monterey Bay for a great meal with a better view. I think your MIL would enjoy the ride up the mountain!