We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monteray Bay Fish Grotto question

New Orleans
Level Contributor
66 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Monteray Bay Fish Grotto question

My husband and I are planning a trip to PA June 12th-15th to see his Pirates. We are staying at the Renaissance Hotel near the stadium. We would like a romantic dinner, I have read some nice things about Monteray Bay but they are a year old nothing recent in the forums. So if anyone has been there lately could you please give me a brief overview.

We were looking for good food, romantic and a nice view and I think this place fits all those.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,896 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monteray Bay Fish Grotto question

I haven't been to Monterey Bay - not a big seafood fan - but Georgetown Inn is also a nice, romantic Mt. Washington place with a great view.

Pittsburgh, PA
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monteray Bay Fish Grotto question

I have not been to Monterey Bay recently but in my opinion it is not a particularly romantic place, and that wouldn't have changed in recent months. It provides the good view and good food, but it is more of a bustling, busy place. Fun, but not quiet and romantic.

LeMont is darker and quiet, more old fashioned in a way, or "classic"--feels more like a special occasion kind of place and therefore, I think, more romantic.

Brandywine Valley...
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monteray Bay Fish Grotto question

It's been 18 months since we visited Pittsburgh and had dinner at Monterey Bay, but our impression was that it's more for business people on expense account than for romantic couples. We went on a weeknight; could be very different on weekends, of course. (And weekdays now could be very different given the current economic times. . .)

We were generally underwhelmed with our meal and the service. The view was great, but we wished we had chosen one of the other restaurants at the top of the inclines. The very best meal we had during our five-day stay was at Nine on Nine -- truly memorable. But sadly, no view.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
238 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Monteray Bay Fish Grotto question

I agree with above posters regarding Monterey Bay, although it has also been awhile since I have been there. Don;t bother with the Georgetown Inn--the food is very, very pedestrian even though the view is nice.

May I suggest Isabella's, which is also on Mt. Washington? It is very pricey, but really nice and I think would fit the romantic idea. I've eaten there 3 or 4 times and have really enjoyed it--as I said though, it is very expensive. Web address is http://www.isabelaongrandview.com/

Pittsburgh, Pa
Level Contributor
111 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Monteray Bay Fish Grotto question

Hmmm, it has been a couple of years but I thought it was fine on the romantic dinner front. People are whispering or anything but the food is good and I never had trouble hearing people talk :)

I have also heard good things about Isabellas.

6. Re: Monteray Bay Fish Grotto question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 November 2009, 07:21
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question