We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pittsburgh hotels

bucks co.
Level Contributor
371 posts
Save Topic
Pittsburgh hotels

Will be going on college visit to PITT later this month. Can anyone suggest hotels in area and if and how they relate to priceline, etc. We will be there only one night so reasonable clean and safe are criteria

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Cancun, Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,363 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pittsburgh hotels

The Hampton Inn.

pittsburghhamptoninn.com/home-hampton-pittsb…

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,915 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pittsburgh hotels

There are several hotels in the Oakland (University Center) area of the city and all are clean and safe.

As for Priceline/Hotwire availability, try betterbidding.com or biddingfortravel.com for insight into whether these hotels sell through these sites.

Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Pittsburgh hotels

We got the omni bidding on Priceline for a really good deal. We are going in September, 74 dollars with tax.Four star, downtown, I am so thrilled because we were going to stay at the Hampton for twice the amount.

Jerome, Arizona
Level Contributor
500 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Pittsburgh hotels

Just keep in mind that anything that is in downtown Pittsburgh is too far from the Pitt campus.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
804 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pittsburgh hotels

The distance from the Pitt campus to downtown is not within walking range but a short easy drive. If it was me I'd take a cab from town to Oakland.

Pittsburgh, PA
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pittsburgh hotels

There are many buses which run from downtown to Oakland, a 10-15 minute ride. I work downtown but whenever I need to go to Oakland during the day I never drive, it is much easier to take the bus back and forth.

I like the Pitt campus, it is urban but still has a lot of nice areas that create a campus feel. Oakland is a busy, interesting neighborhood, dominated by Pitt and the hospitals--lots of people around, lots of restaurants and little shops. Museums, Phipps Conservatory, there is a lot to do in a compact area.

Good luck with the college search!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,933 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pittsburgh hotels

3 hotels show up on betterbidding for the Pittsburgh University Center "zone".

Pittsburgh (University Center)

3* Holiday Inn Select

3* Wyndham University Place Wyndham Garden Hotel

3* Courtyard Shadyside

Looks like winning bids in the $40-$50's dating back to '08.

Mentioned in this post
Courtyard Pittsburgh Shadyside
Courtyard Pittsburgh...
280 Reviews
Pittsburgh, PA
8. Re: Pittsburgh hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2010, 05:17