We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Second trip -- October

Brandywine Valley...
Level Contributor
1,752 posts
75 reviews
Second trip -- October

We spent 5 days in Pittsburgh in late September 2007, primarily to see the Chihuly exhibit at Phipps. Had a wonderful visit. Now Phipps has another spectacular glass exhibit, and since we promised ourselves we'd get back sometime, this fall looks like the time.

We'll probably go in mid- to late-October this time -- driving. We loved the Courtyard Marriott downtown, but should we consider staying in a different section of town?

Last time, in addition to Phipps, we

* wandered The Strip district (on a weekday -- I think we should do it on a weekend this time);

* rode the Incline to dinner at Monterey Bay (underwhelmed);

* had lunch in the restored station at Station Square and did the Duckboat tour;

* did the Carnegie Museum of Natural History and the Heinz History Center -- highlight: got to taste Blennd again! my fave drink as a kid;

* had lunch in the UofP district but didn't see much of the campus.

So . . . aside from Phipps, what should we plan to do on this trip, probably 3-4 nights? We're not sports fans, do love great food & wine. Particularly interested in anything glass-related. Not so much in art museums. Fine craft, definitely.

Thanks in advance!

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,847 posts
13 reviews
1. Re: Second trip -- October

Pittsburgh has a couple of wine bars you might like to try - one is in the Renaissance Hotel I believe. There are also wineries well within driving distance that you could tour.

Staying downtown makes it easy and convenient, so if you can get a good room in your price range, do stay there.

There are also several art glass and stained glass studios in and around the city if you'd be interested in visiting those as well.

Pittsburgh, PA
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,098 posts
41 reviews
2. Re: Second trip -- October

Some glass and/or high-end craft-related activities:

The History Center in the Strip District has a big section on glass making in the region. Pretty interesting, I think.

www.heinzhistorycenter.org/exhibits.aspx…

Then further down Smallman Strip, at 21st Street, the Society for Contemporary Craft. contemporarycraft.org/The_Store/Splash.html

On the border of Shadyside/Point Breeze: Center for the Arts at the corner of 5th and Shady;

http://www.pittsburgharts.org/index.php

In Garfield: Pittsburgh Glass Center, www.pittsburghglasscenter.org/index.aspx

I'm not sure there is always a lot to see, but they do have a small gallery and some special exhibits and activities sometimes.

All along Butler Street in Lawrenceville there are many small galleries and shops I bet you'd like. This is an interesting neighborhood, where a group of small business owners have created a "Design Zone" and been pretty successful in attracting other stores. Some good restaurants along here too, Piccolo Forno and Coca Cafe being two that spring to mind. http://www.1662designzone.com/

Walnut Street in Shadyside has some galleries and stores too, but is not as funky as the Butler Street places.

I too loved the Chihuly exhibit at Phipps but I was disappointed by the Frabel exhibit. Just not my taste in glass, but I was keen to see it anyway.

You might want to stay at a hotel in Oakland; lots of little restaurants, you can walk to Phipps, and you'll be centrally located to do a lot of things.

Good restaurants to try in Oakland: The Original (wonderful hot dogs and french fries; intense local color kind of place); Mad Mex; LuLu's Noodles; Dave & Andy's Ice Cream.

Enjoy your visit!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
5,359 posts
13 reviews
3. Re: Second trip -- October

needsavacation---I never knew anything about the design zone. Thanks.

Brandywine Valley...
Level Contributor
1,752 posts
75 reviews
4. Re: Second trip -- October

Thanks -- some very interesting ideas. Can anyone recommend a map online that has all the various neighborhoods and suburbs marked? I'm not familiar enough to know whether some of the places you've mentioned are within the city or are towns outside.

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,847 posts
13 reviews
5. Re: Second trip -- October

http://www.city.pittsburgh.pa.us/cp/maps/

The interactive neighborhood map should help you.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
61 posts
65 reviews
6. Re: Second trip -- October

There are some wonerful wineries you can visit during your trip! La Narcisi Winery in Gibsonia is a lovely italian winery with an outdoor seating area and inside bistro. They have bands (indoors) every sunday and various outdoor events weekends in the summer. Greendance Winery in Mount Pleasant (a little bit of a drive), is a berry farm that specializes in unique forms of fruit wine. Stone Villa Winery in Acme (also a little drive, but WELL worth it), is my favorite winery in the area. A large outdoor seating area with a lake. Free tastings and events every Saturday and Sunday in the summer. If you purchase a bottle, you can enjoy it outside and listen to music - even bring your own food and have a picnic. Very relaxing!

Brandywine Valley...
Level Contributor
1,752 posts
75 reviews
7. Re: Second trip -- October

Gypsy -- wow, that's a FABulous resource! Thanks so much!!

Lil -- happy to know about the wineries. Probably would skip berry wine (assuming it's sweet; if that's wrong please let me know). Will definitely check out the websites for all of them.

Again, thanks to all for helping us plan another great trip -- we loved Pbgh the first time, fully expect to have an even better time this trip.

8. Re: Second trip -- October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2010, 12:18