We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good food alert!

Which Pittsburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh, PA
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,096 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Good food alert!

I happened across two good food sources this week, and thought that I should tell all the good people of the Pittsburgh TA forum about them asap. I hope you will do the same if there is some little place you know about.

1. Pittsburgh Popcorn Company has opened a store downtown on Liberty Avenue (near the entrance to what used to be the Gimbel's parking garage).* They've been open downtown for a couple months. Wonderful popcorn, so much better than most. The chocolate caramel is great, as is the cheese corn. I haven't tried the regular butter and salt corn yet, too tempted by the other flavors. Check it out if you have any interest in popcorn.

2. Today, I happened upon "Peace, love and little donuts", a little hole in the wall at 2018 Smallman Street serving very fresh donuts. These are what I think of as old fashioned donuts, a little cakier than the puffed up air donuts like Krispy Kremes (not that I don't eat those too). I bought two kinds of mini donuts, cinnamon sugar, and powdered sugar, both still warm. Delicious.

I do eat real food too, even vegetables and fruit, but everyone knows where to get those. It's these little treats that I hope to hear about.

*Native Pittsburghers will appreciate the reference to things that aren't there anymore.

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Pittsburgh, Cancun
Level Contributor
5,359 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good food alert!

Here is a fantastic restaurant we had dinner and drinks at last night. It is in Seven Fields which is right next to Cranberry Twp. It is called Siba Cucina the only one around (not a chain) and you feel like you are in Italy, beautiful surroundings and wonderful food! Check it out:

http://www.siba-cucina.com/

Saxonburg...
Level Contributor
328 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good food alert!

Can't wait to try the two new places downtown. The popcorn sounds like something that would be great to snack on in the evening in your hotel room. Do you know if the donut place is open on Sunday mornings? Or just Saturday's with the rest of the strip?

Have been to Siba's several times. It's hit or miss for us. Sometimes the service is wonderful - other times it's horrible. My first job was in the food service industry and I'm more patient than most. For it to bother me it has to be pretty bad.

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,839 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good food alert!

Thanks Needs!

If anyone is around in the Strip, YOU MUST try Fudgie Wudgie. It's some of the best chocolate I've ever had.

http://fudgiewudgie.com/

Pittsburgh, PA
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,096 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good food alert!

Burg: I found something online that says the donut shop is open 8 am to 2 pm on Sundays.

Gypsy: I agree about FudgieWudgie--great fudge and so many good flavors. Puts regular beach-shop fudge to shame!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
804 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good food alert!

FudgieWudgie is often available at the local Sam's Club. The Mt Nebo site places the kiosk in the back near the produce and frozen foods.

California
Level Contributor
165 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good food alert!

Siba is good with excellent med food . I am waiting for them to bring back Osso Bucco

7. Re: Good food alert!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2010, 05:17