We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Petersen Events Center

8 posts
Save Topic
Petersen Events Center

I will be travelling to Pittsburgh for the first time in Oct. for the Cirque Du Soleil show at the Petersen Events Center. Can anyone give me a good hotel suggestion? Is this in a good part of town? What part should we stay clear of? Any information is appreciated.

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,861 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Petersen Events Center

The Petersen is in Oakland, so you can try any of the University Center hotels near the schools.

There is a Wyndham Garden, Hampton Inn, Quality Inn, Holiday Inn, etc.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Petersen Events Center

I agree with the previous poster as far as the hotels are concerned. Furthermore, the Peterson Event Center is right on campus which is relatively safe. Just don't stray too far away into the Hill District which is not a safe area.

8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Petersen Events Center

I am sorry, but I am not very familiar with Pittsburgh. In relation to the Petersen Events Center, where is the Hill District?

Pittsburgh, PA
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,113 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Petersen Events Center

The Hill District is just above the Petersen. You'd have no touristy reason to go there, unfortunately, as urban renewal pretty much ruined what was once a very lively and successful city neighborhood. There is a lot of new housing there, and at this point I think it has a worse reputation than it deserves.

Any of the Oakland hotels would be fine, and within walking distance of the Petersen.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Petersen Events Center

Here is a (parking)map of the area if it helps you.

…pitt.edu/documents/PEC_Parking_Map.pd

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Petersen Events Center

…pitt.edu/documents/PEC_Parking_Map.pdf

Sorry.... this one should work

California
Level Contributor
165 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Petersen Events Center

Perterson event center is the indoor stadium (mainly basket ball) of university of Pittsburgh.It is in the the university part of pittsburgh (oakland). Though there are some bad parts, remember it is your typical urban university campus. There are many hotels(various class) in the walking distance from the center. (holiday Inn, hampton inn, wydham)

parking is a problem in oakland.

if you intend to stay outside oakland , driving into Oakland is also an option.You can take bus/cab from other parts of the city.

Oakland has a great collection of ethnic food places

Enjoy!

California
Level Contributor
165 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Petersen Events Center

Don't worry there are no hotels in the hill district

Maryland
Level Contributor
89 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Petersen Events Center

Our daughter is a sophomore at the University of Pittsburgh. Unfortunately, ticket prices for the cirque Du Soleil are out of her (and our) budget. We have had great stays at the Hampton Inn in Oakland, which will run a free shuttle up the hill to the Petersen Event Center. You can walk from the hotel, but it's a pretty steep hill.

Oakland is a great area -- lots of ethnic, inexpensive restaurants. Enjoy.

10. Re: Petersen Events Center

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2010, 05:17