We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about travel to Pittsburgh (Oct 2009)

Canada
4 posts
Save Topic
Questions about travel to Pittsburgh (Oct 2009)

Oh where to begin?

I will be traveling to Pittsburgh in October during the Columbus day weekend.

I'm not familiar with the area at all and have no idea even where to start looking for a hotel/motel.

I am looking for something inexpensive - around $50-$70/night.

It would be nice to have something close to the downtown area (inexpensive cab ride) for the nightlife for Saturday night.

What areas should I avoid?

Any suggestions for going out dancing? Something for the 25 and up crowd.

Thank you all in advance.

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,847 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about travel to Pittsburgh (Oct 2009)

Unless you go through Priceline or Hotwire, you won't find anything downtown in that price range. Try 4 star downtown and bid in the $80 range and you should get the Ren - if it's not a Steeler Game weekend.

If you don't have any luck there, try the Greentree area - it is a quick cab ride to the South Side which is where I'd recommend you to head for party fun. The Station Square area has several clubs, and further up Carson St. there are many, many, many bars to choose from.

But do take the cab comapny's phone number with you since Pittsburgh isn't known for it's multitude of cabs on demand.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
487 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about travel to Pittsburgh (Oct 2009)

There is a lot of Saturday nightlife on the South Side. There you can go place to place (Fatheads is great, Marios) along Carson Street, shop at the South Side Works (there is a Cheesecake Factory and the new Hoffbrau House). Try the Holiday Inn Express on the South Side so that you can avoid a cab ride while there. If you want to venture into town, do take a cab to Station Square. Again, more restaurants and night clubs in Station Square. Also there is a "T" (subway) station there. You can take the T into town. On weekends until the end of the year, two of the downtown stops are closed due to construction, so you can only get off at the Steel Plaza stop. From there, you can walk down to the Sixth/Seventh Street area for more bars/restaurants (check out Olive or Twist, Bossa Nova, Six Penn Kitchen) Another area to stay would be the Strip District. Just a few blocks from downtown, it is a warehouse area with specialty shops and some night clubs. There is a Hampton Inn there.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,021 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about travel to Pittsburgh (Oct 2009)

Your price range is way too low for downtown unless you want to consider bidding on a Priceline. It's possible you could bid and win a 3* downtown for $60-$70. You should consult betterbidding.com for tips on how to bid and for possible winning hotels.

Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions about travel to Pittsburgh (Oct 2009)

Thank you all so much for the replies.

I will check out betterbidding for sure to learn more about Priceline and Hotlist.

5. Re: Questions about travel to Pittsburgh (Oct 2009)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2010, 06:18