We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last minute trip to Pittsburgh during G-20

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
54 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Last minute trip to Pittsburgh during G-20

I'm thinking about a last minute trip to Pittsburgh the same week of the G-20. I'd like to hit the South Side and Station Square but I'm concerned that those areas will be gridlocked or I won't find a place to stay. Any suggestions from those of you who live in the area? I'm looking to stay 09/22 - 09/25.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
16,994 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last minute trip to Pittsburgh during G-20

I would say that if you can get a hotel, you should have minimal gridlock issues, since the G20 is being held downtown.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
562 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last minute trip to Pittsburgh during G-20

South Side should be fine; it's possible Station Square will be a little affected because it's close to downtown. Definitely avoid West Mifflin; they're using the airport there for most of the flights.

Media, PA
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last minute trip to Pittsburgh during G-20

We are in a hockey tournament in Pittsburgh during the G-20. I wanted to visit some Colleges at the same time but all closed due to the G-20 so we are going to stay until Monday. Anyway, many of the hotels are booked for this tournament during that weekend also so it may be a very crowded weekend.

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last minute trip to Pittsburgh during G-20

The G20 is going to play heck with traffic not only downtown but also in the North Shore area. South Side, however, shouldn't be too bad.

I know Beaver Ave and Chateau streets will be closed with security checkpoints because Western Pen is down there and anyone arrested during the protests will be arraigned there. I have to have 2 forms of ID on me including my work ID to get through next week since I work just past the Pen.

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Last minute trip to Pittsburgh during G-20

I just read an article in my local paper (Beaver County Times) that said there are no hotel rooms left in all of Allegheny County, and that the suburban hotels as far away as Steubenville, OH are almost completely filled as well.

Good luck finding a room!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
562 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Last minute trip to Pittsburgh during G-20

Yeah, I'm thinking the further away from the city you can get, the better you'll be. I just read that the South Side could be gridlocked too, because of everyone trying to avoid downtown.

7. Re: Last minute trip to Pittsburgh during G-20

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2010, 04:18