We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

g-20

PITTSBURGH
Level Contributor
260 posts
Save Topic
g-20

OK--How many people are taking off for the G-20 just because of the G-20!!! And what are you going to do?? I have a BIL that works at PNC downtown and as soon as I heard about all the crap that was supposed to happen, i marked off Thurs and Fri--Lots of people a little po'd that they didnt think of it first --I am trying to think of something to entertain myself besides the daily laundry and grocery junk--I thought about gambling at the Rivers but thats kinda stupidly close to the city--I drove 28 this am at 6 and cops were every where--should prove interesting

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
562 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: g-20

I work in West Mifflin, so I'm not sure how hard it's going to be to get to work. They're supposedly only closing Lebanon Church Rd for short periods at a time, since they're using the County airport for a lot of the dignitaries.

My work is pretty much letting everyone use vacation days or stay home without pay, so I'm staying home tomorrow. I think I'll get an oil change & take our dog to the groomers. You know, catch up on the important things, lol!

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: g-20

I work on the North Shore about a block and a half from Western Pen, which is where all of the protestors who get arrested will be arraigned. It's going to be REALLY fun trying to get to work tomorrow.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
499 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: g-20

No traffic at all coming down 65 this morning at 6:30. Our building is locked down right now, the office closed tomorrow and town is dead today.... wonder how much that will change tomorrow....

Pittsburgh, PA
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: g-20

My office is within the G20 perimeter, so our building was closed, but I'm going to the concert at Point State Park this evening, weather permitting. I might ride my bike into town tomorrow to check things out.

Downtown never looked nicer, with all the new trees, flowers, repaving, etc. that was done in preparation for the G20. That was, until Monday when they started putting up the fences, and some businesses boarded up. That took away from the beauty a bit.

I hope all goes well, that the official G20 people all bond with each other (or whatever they're hoping to accomplish by meeting in person instead of videoconferencing), that the protesters have a chance to be heard, that the security people are safe and keep others safe, that the world will see the charms of Pittsburgh.

West Windsor...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,892 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: g-20

I just got back from Pitsburgh. I was wondering why my meetings got chaned from Thursday to yesterday.

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: g-20

Melb, I come in 65 too and all the hype was for naught - they didn't even have Beaver & Chateau closed with the "checkpoints" that we were warned about.

Pittsburgh, PA
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: g-20

Update from concert Wednesday night:

We had no trouble at all getting to and out of town for the concert. I think the press and security officers outnumbered the people attending the concert. Which was really a labor rally with good music. There were lots of speeches, Gov. Rendell was there, and the heads of USW and AFL-CIO.

Downtown had a very strange feel to it, almost empty except for around the convention center, where some visitors were eating at a few open restaurants behind the security fences erected in the 900 block of Penn Ave.

There are some illuminations on several buildings downtown, pictures projected onto walls. The most eyecatching was on the right side of the Penn Ave and 10th Street entrance to the convention center. I thought they were all spectacular--well worth a trip to town to see them, once downtown is back to normal. They will be running through Sept. 27 I believe; this is called the Festival of Lights, if you want to find out more about it.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
804 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: g-20

Gypsy, I'm not surprised there wasn't much happening on the part of North Side you work in. Other than the Pen and Alcosan it's mostly warehouses at the Woods Run end of Chateau and Beaver.

My trip into town today was "creepy" for lack of a better description. No traffic to speak of during the drive south from North Hills.

Soldiers and police on the town side of the Veteran's Bridge and barricading Bedford Ave near the Arena. Military helicopters flying over head for the past few days, not a good feeling.

All of this security made me think long and hard about the privileges and freedoms we as Americans take for granted.......

9. Re: g-20

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 March 2010, 04:18