We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Relocating to Pittsburgh

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Topic
Relocating to Pittsburgh

I know this is a basically a travel forum, but my husband's job is relocating him from New Jersey to Pittsburgh by next April. We own our home in NJ but we are thinking of renting when we arrive at least until we are sure where we want to live in the area. We are thinking of renting in Shadyside, maybe Franklin West Apartments. Does anyone know if that area is nice? Of course the pictures always look nice on the websites. We are also thinking of the Residence at the Docks and The Pointe at Adams Ridge. We will be visiting shortly to look around, but I'd like to get a jump start before we actually visit. We would appreciate and thank you for any information provided.

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Relocating to Pittsburgh

Shadyside is a very nice city neighborhood. I'm not familiar with any of the apartment complexes you've mentioned specifically, but you can also look at Kennedy Township and Moon Township, both are close to the city but also nice areas with local shopping, etc.

Would his job be downtown or in one of the suburbs?

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Relocating to Pittsburgh

His job is downtown. We are also looking in Moon and Mars. I just love those names.....lol.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
804 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Relocating to Pittsburgh

Adams Pointe approx 25 miles north of the city. Relatively new townhouse and patio home development. Directly on 228 off 79 north. Not knowing what a NJ person would consider a lengthy commute my guess about 40-50 minutes on a good day. I live 6 miles north and it takes me approx 25-30 minutes into town during peak traffic. The area is typical suburbia strip mall after strip mall, along with chain restaurants and fast food joints.

Mars is the small town in the area about 27 miles north off of 228. Your typical small town for lack of a better description. Personally I like Mars and would not mind living there. A good sense of community. Neither location is even remotely close to a city like environment.

4. Re: Relocating to Pittsburgh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

We're sorry - the TripAdvisor staff closed this topic because TripAdvisor does not facilitate discussions about relocation or real estate purchases because these topics are not considered to be travel-related.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2009, 12:45