We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pittsburgh in the winter?

KMK83
Level Contributor
605 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Pittsburgh in the winter?

We are planning on going somewhere for a long weekend in February (President's Day) and wanted to see if Pittsburgh is for us.

We are a couple in our mid-20s and would be coming from the Baltimore area and want to keep the trip under 5 hours. We'd like to see some snow/winter landscapes, but we don't ski or anything.

We're fans of "scenic drives" and outdoor activities like hiking. We also have a moderate interest in museumes/cultural activities. We're on somewhat of a budget, too.

Are there things to see like state parks/scenic drives within striking distance of Pittsburgh? I don't know if we should go to Pittsburgh or somewhere else....

Mentioned in this post
Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
Tarentum,Pa
Level Contributor
105 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Pittsburgh in the winter?

The Laurel Highlands area is about 1 hour from the city. http://laurelhighlands.org/

Mentioned in this post
Highlands
Highlands
North Carolina Mountains, NC
Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,913 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pittsburgh in the winter?

KMK, do you have a room booked? Would you prefer to stay in the downtown area or in the 'burbs?

For winter scenery, you can check out Raccoon Creek State Park - Both the Wildflower Reserve area and Frankfort Springs area have nice walking trails, but I'm not sure if the Reserve area is open in winter.

…state.pa.us/stateParks/…raccooncreek.aspx

Mentioned in this post
Raccoon Creek State Park
Raccoon Creek State Park
73 Reviews
Hookstown, PA
Frankfort
Frankfort
Kentucky
KMK83
Level Contributor
605 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pittsburgh in the winter?

Thanks for the replies!

We don't have a room booked yet. We're just trying to decide if Pittsburgh would be a good place for us to go for the weekend. Are my chances of seeing snow on the ground in February pretty good? It gets cold in Maryland, but seems we never get snow.

I think we'd rather stay in the city than the suburbs. I'm interested in going to some musuems and maybe going to a pub/restaurant at night that we could walk/taxi from, in the event we decide to have some drinks.

I like a mix of city and outdoors activties. We went to western maryland last winter and liked it, but it was a bit boring at night, since we weren't at the ski resort.

Mentioned in this post
Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
Maryland
Maryland
United States
Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,913 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pittsburgh in the winter?

Hit Priceline or Hotwire for 4 star downtown and you'll get the Renaissance, Westin or Omni, all are excellent choices.

You will likely see snow in February, for sure!

KMK83
Level Contributor
605 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pittsburgh in the winter?

Great, thanks again! Hopefully this all works out and we will get to visit. My father is from Pittsburgh, but I've never had the chance to spend much time there.

Mentioned in this post
Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
6. Re: Pittsburgh in the winter?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2010, 05:18