We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 star hotel near PNC Park?

Which Pittsburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
St. Clair Shores, MI
Level Contributor
915 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
4 star hotel near PNC Park?

Adding this thread because so many other hotel inquiries are closed.

We'll be in the 'Burgh in May, 2010 for a weekend at PNC Park. Inquiring to find a great hotel nearby the park. With suggestions, what will we encounter with parking fees?

And...we want to visit Fat Head's for a meal and drink. Easy? Difficult, from where you recommend?

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
781 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 star hotel near PNC Park?

TripAdvisor gives a four-star rating to four downtown Pittsburgh hotels: The Renaissance Pittsburgh Hotel (#1), the Omni William Penn Hotel (#4), The Pittsburgh Hitlon & Towers (#18), and the Westin Convention Center Pittsburgh (#22). The Renaissance is just a short walk across the Roberto Clemente Bridge from PNC Park. The walk from the Omni William Penn is about a half-dozen more blocks.

There is a municipal parking garage across the street from the Renaissance.

From the Renaissance or William Penn to Fat Heads (near 18th Street on E Carson Street) it's a short cab ride or a short bus ride (on an about-to-be-reconfigured route):

portauthority.org/paac/…51C-51.pdf

St. Clair Shores, MI
Level Contributor
915 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 star hotel near PNC Park?

Thank you for your reply, charefex. We're looking forward to our visit.

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,805 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 star hotel near PNC Park?

I would strongly take issue with the Downtown Hilton being considered a 4 star. It's not even close.

Many people have posted that they have gotten amazing deals on the Renaissance via Priceline and Hotwire. Both of those sites have the Westin, Renaissance and Omni as 4 star.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
16,623 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 star hotel near PNC Park?

I agree with Gypsy. If you look at how Priceline rates, the 4*s are the Westin, Omni, and Ren - the Hilton is a 3* and the Marriott ends up at 3.5*.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
739 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 star hotel near PNC Park?

Hilton has definitely gone down hill, but you might get a super cheap rate. Otherwise, I'd leave that one out. All the other ones mentioned are comparable to one another. I believe all parking is in a garage nearby the hotels and all have valet. The Westin Convention Center valet parking seems very chaotic though. There are always lots of events going on there, but the hotel itself is great.

Fatheads is in Southside. Do you like walking? I walk from downtown to southside all the time, it's completely flat but it's several miles each way to Fat Heads. You could stop at Station Square along the way. But if you're not into walking, as the others mentioned, a cab is a better option - if you can get one. And the bus is a really good option.

Parking in southside is a little challenging. Parking is free on the side streets if you drive around enough and can find a space.

Parking at the meters on the main drag (Carson street) is easy if you can find a space. The meters must be fed between 8am and 6pm Monday thru Saturday. It's an $11 ticket if you don't feed the meters and you will get a ticket.

Parking in lots that have meters is trickier. Those meters must be fed at all times. Southside parking is heavily policed.

St. Clair Shores, MI
Level Contributor
915 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 star hotel near PNC Park?

Thank you for your kind replies.

We'll be parking our car for the duration of our stay. We'll do some limited walking, but I anticipate using cabs to get to farther afoot than say six blocks.

7. Re: 4 star hotel near PNC Park?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2010, 05:19