We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good cheap places to eat

new jersey
Level Contributor
161 posts
206 reviews
Save Topic
Good cheap places to eat

My husband and I are going to Pittsburgh this weekend and we are on a budget. Could anyone please recommend some good inexpensive places to eat?

Pittsburgh, PA
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,100 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good cheap places to eat

Where will you be and what kind of food do you like?

Lots of interesting choices in Oakland:

LuLu's Noodles

Spice Island Tea House

Burma Tokyo

Star of India

Downtown:

Christos (Greek food)

North Side:

Nicky's Thai Kitchen

Strip District:

JoJo's (trucker/diner place. closes at noon)

DeLuca's (slightly fancier diner)

Pamela's (more modern diner)

Vietnam's Pho

Lawrenceville/Bloomfield:

Tram's Kitchen

Bloomfield:

Tessaro's (bar/restaurant. great burgers)

Lawrenceville:

Piccolo Forno (good Italian food; most expensive of all these listed but cheaper than most comparable restaurants)

Round Corner Cantina (diagonally across from Piccolo Forno, a bar with good Mexican food)

Dormont:

Dor-Stop (diner, open for breakfast and lunch)

These are all locally owned places, with good food and I think the prices are pretty low. I'm sure other people will have some good suggestions too. Hope you enjoy your trip.

new jersey
Level Contributor
161 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good cheap places to eat

We will be staying at the Westin Convention center for a volleyball tournament. I have never been to Pittsburgh before so I am unfamiliar with the different areas you have mentioned and how far they are from where we are staying. My husband and I like basically all different types of food: american, italian, japanese, seafood. The only thing I don't like is Indian food and I'm not that crazy about Mexican.

Knowing all that, what would you recommend most bearing in mind that we don't want to spend alot on food this weekend?

Pittsburgh, PA
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,100 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good cheap places to eat

The Westin is in downtown Pittsburgh. Christo's and the Strip District places are within walking distance (though JoJo's is a bit of a hike). All the places I listed are within an easy bus ride (except maybe the Dor-Stop). Oakland is particularly easy to get too, many buses from downtown, about a ten minute trip.

If you'll have a car, it is a very easy drive to any of these places, all within maybe 3 miles of your hotel. Pittsburgh is fine so long as you have a map and good directions; as an old city with rivers and hills, we are not based on a grid and a good sense of direction isn't that much help. However, the areas I've suggested are within a small range, and you won't get tangled up on highways. You just need to follow a map or use GPS.

If you go to the Pittsburgh Restaurants page of TripAdvisor, you can check out any of the places I mentioned and locate them on a map of Pittsburgh.

new jersey
Level Contributor
161 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good cheap places to eat

ok great. We will have both a car and a GPS so that's good to know. Thanks for your help!

][
toronto
Level Contributor
17 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good cheap places to eat

If in the mood for a quick bite to eat

McCormick & Schmick's

Happy hour menu. 1/2 pound Cheeseburger & fries is $2.95. There are other menu options that range from $1.95 - $4.95. Note: This menu is only offered at special times (monday - friday [3:30 -6:30]) or on gameday) and you must eat in the bar section of the restaurant. There is usually a drink requirement. mccormickandschmicks.com/Locations/pittsburg…

The other option is Morton's of Chicago for the bar bites menu from 5-6:30 and 9 - close

http://www.mortons.com/pittsburgh/bar/ -- get the 3 prime cheeseburgers!

6. Re: Good cheap places to eat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 November 2010, 06:28