We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To Pittsburgh by bus in July

Which Pittsburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Hope, Pa
Level Contributor
11 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
To Pittsburgh by bus in July

We will be coming to Pittsburgh by bus for 3 days. The drop off point is 10th Street and Penn Ave. How is the public transportation is Pittsburgh? What affordable hotels are nearby? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. It is our first trip to Pittsburgh.

Edited: 13 June 2010, 23:54
McKees Rocks, PA
Level Contributor
436 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: To Pittsburgh by bus in July

Public transit in and very near the city is not too bad. But any bus that gets you near somewhat affordable lodging is going to have poor service.

You will probably want to stay in the downtown area but it is expensive. But you can find pretty good deals on sites like priceline.com.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
271 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: To Pittsburgh by bus in July

Welcome to Pittsburgh,

The Westin is right at Penn and 10th and the Courtyard by marriott is less than a half block away at 945 Penn. Less expensive is the Hampton Inn four blocks away in the Strip District at Smallman and 13th, directly opposite the Heinz History Center. There are no cheaper hotels downtown.

Public transportation can be good or bad, depending on where you're going. There's excellent bus service between downtown and Oakland, the medical center and the universities are but not so good to more distant neighborhoods.

We can help you better if you are more specific.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
271 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: To Pittsburgh by bus in July

LydNewHope,

You said your bus drop off will be 10th and Penn, so you must be traveling by MegaBus. Please reply to my June 21st post in this forum,"MegaBus from Pittsburgh to NYC and Philadelphia." with a review of your bus ride. I'd like to know what you think of MegaBus. I'm thinking of taking it to NYC. And post some details of where you want to go in Pittsburgh.

Edited: 27 June 2010, 03:17
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
16,631 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To Pittsburgh by bus in July

You may want to consider using a PM to get your answer.

Pittsburgh, PA
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: To Pittsburgh by bus in July

I know this is a bit off topic, but someone mentioned Megabus and there was an article about the trip from Pittsburgh to NYC in the Post Gazette today:

www.post-gazette.com/pg/10178/1068172-37.stm

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
271 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: To Pittsburgh by bus in July

I read that article this morning. MegaBus certainly seems like a viable alternative to and from Pittsburgh. What worries me about MegaBus are all the negative reviews on TripAdvisor and Yelp forums for its east coast trips--Washington-Baltimore-Philadelphia-NYC-Boston. But, I will try it to NYC, probably in late July.

Pittsburgh, PA
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: To Pittsburgh by bus in July

Tantalus:

please post a review of your Megabus trip, hope it goes well.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
271 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: To Pittsburgh by bus in July

Will do.

Another thing that concerns me about MegaBus is the statement in the P-G review that passengers are limited to one suitcase stowed in the bins in the belly of the bus and one small bag under the seat. On the trip I plan to take in late July, I want to keep with me at my seat a largish box--16" square--that will hold fragile stuff and a duffel bag with my laptop, medication, reading material, and snacks plus a small suitcase that i would put in the bins underneath. I will have to call MegaBus and quiz them about this. If they won't allow three bags/packages, then I'll go on Amtrak. But I can't imagine that MegaBus passengers are limited to just two. What if you go on a shopping binge before your return trip?

9. Re: To Pittsburgh by bus in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 December 2010, 05:16