We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving thru Pittsburgh - Area Help

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
85 posts
584 reviews
Save Topic
Driving thru Pittsburgh - Area Help

We will be driving thru Pittsburgh and will need to find a place to stay the night. I don't want to be in the downtown core at all, was wondering if there is a nice, safe area outside of the city that has hotels, restaurants and shops? If so can you please list the name of these towns so I can look into finding a hotel.

Thank you!

Pittsburgh, PA
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving thru Pittsburgh - Area Help

What direction are you coming from? Heading to? If you're on a major road, do you want to stay pretty close to it?

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
85 posts
584 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving thru Pittsburgh - Area Help

Thank you for your reply.

We are driving north from Myrtle Beach and finally destination is Toronto but stopping in Grove City first. I thought it would be a good idea to sleep in Pittsburgh area and head up to Grove City in the morning. I believe we are taking I-79 so I don't want to go too far away from that highway since we will need to get back on to it.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
784 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving thru Pittsburgh - Area Help

You might consider "Pittsburgh Airport" hotels with a 15275 postal code. These hotels are off I-376, about five miles west of your route on I-79. They include:

SpringHill Suites

Marriott Pittsburgh Airport

Candlewood Suites, Pittsburgh Airport

Four Points by Sheraton

They are in a complex of office parks and shopping areas. The area does not have a walkable downtown (though it does have an enclosed shopping mall with "Town Centre" in its name), but does have a variety of shops and restaurants.

Mentioned in this post
Candlewood Suites - Pittsburgh Airport
Candlewood Suites...
214 Reviews
Pittsburgh, PA
Saxonburg...
Level Contributor
330 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving thru Pittsburgh - Area Help

Cranberry Township/Warrendale area. Right off 79 - couple of exits south of Grove City. About 20-30 minutes north of downtown area. Many hotels and restaurants to choose from.

Mentioned in this post
Warrendale
Warrendale
Pennsylvania
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
804 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving thru Pittsburgh - Area Help

Ditto Cranberry. It is an easy on/off exit. Much simpler than near the airport. Cranberry has shopping, eating and many places to stay. There are 2 exits first to left onto 19N, the second brings you off onto 228. Either one will get you where you need to go in the area. 79 is usually an easy drive. It gets a little crowded going thru Wexford around 4:30p until about 6. Wexford is just before Warrendale and Cranberry.

Best guess Cranberry to Grove City around 30 minutes.

Mentioned in this post
Wexford
Wexford
Pennsylvania
Warrendale
Warrendale
Pennsylvania
Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,919 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving thru Pittsburgh - Area Help

I third the Cranberry suggestion. If you take 228 east a little ways, you'll find Ciba Cucina - hidden gem amongst the chain restaurants in the area.

Pittsburgh, PA...
Level Contributor
262 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving thru Pittsburgh - Area Help

Also Robinson Township (zip code 15205) - Hyatt Place Hotel and Holiday Inn Express. Both are less than 5 minutes off Route 79 on I376 West. Plenty of shopping and restaurants, at both the Robinson Mall and at the brand new Settlers Ridge shopping center which is about 2 minutes from both hotels.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
804 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving thru Pittsburgh - Area Help

Robinson has much of what Cranberry does, though IMO much more difficult to navigate compared to Cranberry. I live in Pittsburgh rarely visiting Robinson shopping due to traffic and how the malls etc are located.

Pittsburgh, PA...
Level Contributor
262 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving thru Pittsburgh - Area Help

The new Settlers Ridge in Robinson is as accessible and easy to navigate as any shopping anywhere, since it is directly off I376, as are the two hotels I mentioned. The Robinson Mall is also directly off I376, just one exit further along, so I have no idea how either could be considered difficult to navigate, especially if you are using GPS.

There have also been massive upgrades to the highway and the exits/traffic patterns in the Robinson area in the past couple years, so it is much better than it was. Certainly equal to Cranberry now.

Edited: 24 July 2010, 22:48
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,933 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving thru Pittsburgh - Area Help

You could also consider driving all the way to Grove City / Mercer area and staying there. There are some decent hotels nearby the outlet mall and college and it's not that far north of the city. Cranberry is right off the interstate so that would be my second choice.

Mentioned in this post
Mercer
Mercer
Pennsylvania