We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay for a short visit?

Which Pittsburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
104 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay for a short visit?

What neigborhood or area would be recommended to stay in for a weekend. We are looking for an area that is nice and has easy access to most attractions. Would also like if possible an area that at night there are attractions/restaurant/bars that can be walked to?

Any suggestions?

Sparkle

Vacaville...
Level Contributor
676 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay for a short visit?

I would suggest you stay at the Holiday Inn Express on 10th street, on the Southside. They have a great breakfast included with your stay. You'd be close to lots and lots of restaurants and bars. They have a heated indoor pool and a courtesy van too. You'd want to stay on the Station Square side of the building for the better view of the city.

If that's not good, go to the Sheraton at Station Square. Again, restaurants and bars are plentiful, however, don't know what getting a decent breakfast would be like there though. You'd want to have your room with a city view. There's so much to do, you'll want to come back...boats, museums, zoo, concerts, sports, shopping, Dave and Busters, it's got it all in the Burgh.

Have fun.

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
2,955 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay for a short visit?

Thanks for the quick reply. If I would have checked the search engine I would have seen that this questions was asked before. Got great ideas from that thread also. One question that keeps coming up. Is this area safe? Many of the replies indicated "its a safe area" or "ok, not dangerous" etc. Is the Univ of Pitt known for being in an unsafe area? Thank you

Vacaville...
Level Contributor
676 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay for a short visit?

I can tell you first hand that the Southside is safe at night, especially on weekends, as there are lots of people moving about. I used to live there and miss it. As far as the Pitt area, I wouldn't feel as safe, but someone who lives there would be the best person to ask...

PA
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay for a short visit?

Mom... stick with something in Oakland. Probably the Holiday Inn. The Southside isn't going to be as convenient for you. Oakland is safe. There is nothing to worry about.

Pittsburgh, Pa.
Level Contributor
499 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay for a short visit?

Have two threads been merged here?

Anyway, unless the goal of your trip is a campus tour, or seeing the Carnegie Museums, stick with the South Side.

Oakland is perfectly safe, but IMHO the South Side offers so much more. It has shopping area called South Side Works with chain-type stores and restaurants, and all along Carson Street are locally owned and sometimes quirky stores and restaurants.

Or consider Shadyside, a bit more upscale than Carson.

Attractions are all over the place in Pittsburgh, so you do need a car, but nothing is terribly difficult to get to.

Welcome!

PA
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay for a short visit?

Penzgirl is right... 2 threads have been merged.

To sparkle099 (the original poster in this thread): Southside sounds best for you.

To justcallmemom: I think you got your threads confused. Based on what you posted in your other thread, there is absolutely no need for you to stay on the Southside. You need Oakland. You are in town to check out the school, so there is no reason to stay in a different part of town. Don't get confused. Just stay in Oakland.

Texas
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay for a short visit?

I would stay at Morning Glory Inn in the South Side. It is located in a great neighborhood.......one block off of Carson Street...within walking distance of many great shops, restaurants.....

It is a beautiful Bed and Breakfast. The rooms are gorgeous and the breakfast is superb! We had our wedding there and it was just spectacular!!

pittsburgh
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay for a short visit?

I recommend the Morning Glory Inn as well, you can walk anywhere from there 50 restaurants, entertainment, shopping spots...I am a born and raised South Sider, it is safe...37 years I haven't had a problem at home or work in South Side.

www.gloryinn.com

www.southsidepittsburgh.com

9. Re: Where to stay for a short visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2009, 05:26