We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family-Friendly Indoor Activities

Ohio
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Topic
Family-Friendly Indoor Activities

We're thinking of bringing our five year-old this weekend over MLK day.

I understand it's supposed to be chilly, so we need indoor activities. We're planning to stay downtown and can either drive or use public transportation.

A few years ago we took him someplace where they had a huge indoor model train display. Does anyone know where this is/was and if it still exists?

Here are a few of our brainstorming ideas:

- Aviary (we've been there before and liked it)

- Zoo (are there any indoor exhibits there?)

- Aquarium

Thanks!!

Vacaville...
Level Contributor
676 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family-Friendly Indoor Activities

Hi-

The railroad exibit I think you're talking about is at the Carnegie Science Center on the North Shore. carnegiesciencecenter.org should give you more info and they have free parking too.

Another idea and your child will absolutely love this, Dave and Busters at the waterfront in Homestead. A short drive from town, here's their phone number and address: 412-462-1500

180 East Waterfront Drive

I've been there many times with my kids, young and old. It's a huge arcade place, children must be accompanied by an adult at all times. Makes for a great time, kids cannot run wild. They also have two different settings for dining, noisy and quiet, we've done both and food is really good, kid friendly too.

Hope this helps... oh and yes the zoo has some indoor exhibits, Rain forest and Aquarium.

Check out the Gateway Clipper Fleet too at Station Square :)

Pittsburgh, Pa.
Level Contributor
499 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family-Friendly Indoor Activities

I believe the train display was at Phipps Conservatory, and I believe, but am not sure, that it is no longer there.

Do take your son to the Children's Museum on the North Side, though.