We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant for dinner

Portland
4 posts
Save Topic
Restaurant for dinner

We will be landing in Pittsburgh and heading straight to Erie, Pa. Wondering if there are any good places to stop for dinner on the way to Erie. Comfort food, Italian, Polish (pierogies) would be our choices. Thanks for the help.

McKees Rocks, PA
Level Contributor
461 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant for dinner

You will be passing both Robinson Town Centre and the Pointe at North Fayatte, Both shopping centers have tons of restaurants. A number of Italian restaurants but no Polish restaurants that I know of.

The closet place for pierogies is Pierogiesplus http://www.pierogiesplus.com/ on Island Ave in Mckees Rocks.

Portland
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant for dinner

Any ideas for further north outside of the Pittsburgh area? We are landing at 3pm. Might help to get out of town before the traffic. Just a thought. Appreciate your help. Thanks.

McKees Rocks, PA
Level Contributor
461 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant for dinner

Sorry meant to mention it You will be passing right by Cranberry on the way to Erie. There are tons of restaurants.

Past that is Zelinople. Right in Zelienople is the Kaufman House. A wonderful old hotel with great food. Just north on 19 is the Log Cabin Inn. Fantastic food but depending when you stop, it could be packed.

North of that is Grove City. Lots of fast food for sure but there must be at least one regular restaurant.

McKees Rocks, PA
Level Contributor
461 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant for dinner

If the Log Cabin is packed and you don't feel like waiting then just north off of Route 19 in Portersville is Browns Restaurant. Not real fancy but good family style meals at reasonable prices,

McKees Rocks, PA
Level Contributor
461 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant for dinner

Overall I would recommend the Kaufman House. It will be the most unique and charming out of all of the choices. Though the Log Cabin and Browns are a closeseconds.

If I were you and I had some extra time, I would stay on Route 19 for a bit. Just north of Portersville is Amish country (be it not a major center), If you pick the right day you are bound to see Amish buggies on the road. You might even be lucky enough to see a horse drawn canoe going down the road. :) I have seen them a couple of times while riding my bicycle in the area but have never had the courage to ask to take their picture (the Amish don't like having their picture taken).

If you have time,, look for the town of Volant. It is a bit off of your route but another nice little town with lots of Amish handicrafts.

There is also McConnells Mill State Park which has a covered bridge and a working watermill (it does not actually grind grain anymore).

Edited: 23 July 2011, 01:57
Portland
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant for dinner

Thanks for all your help. It really helps and I truly appreciate all your valuable information.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,419 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant for dinner

You wont be going through Pittsburgh to go from the airport toward Erie, you can bypass downtown completely as you are heading north.

8. Re: Restaurant for dinner

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 21:16