We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public Transportation

Which Pittsburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Las Vegas, New...
Level Contributor
273 posts
Save Topic
Public Transportation

Can someone please shed some light on public transit in Pittsburgh? I have heard that riding the subway in town is "free". But we have to pay once we cross a river. I have also heard that there are no subway passes for maybe 1- day. Are any of these things true?

To give you some info, I will either be staying at the Renaissance Pittsburgh or the Pittsburgh Marriott City Center. Leaning more heavily towards the Renaissance.

And I am planning to go to:

1) Double Decker Red Bus

2) Just Ducky Tour

3) Fort Pitt Museum

4) Heintz History Center

5) possibly one of the inclines

6) possibly PGN Center

7) and obviously restaurants for dinner

I will have a car, but wish to use it only sparingly in the downtown area.

I would like to depend on mass transit to get around town. Will be here for three nights. In other cities, we usually buy either a Two Day Pass or two ONE Day Passes. We like these passes since it gives unlimited service, as we are going to quite a few places.

But I have heard that Pittsburgh does not offer these passes. So, do I just pay single fares each time, or how does that work> P.S. I may need to take a combination of subway + bus.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
16,631 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public Transportation

portauthority.org/paac/…Maps.aspx

portauthority.org/paac/…WaysToSave.aspx

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
1 post
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public Transportation

As someone that has lived in Pittsburgh forever, and spends most of her time traveling to major cities, I'm here to tell you that you REALLY need to watch the public transportation. We have one of the worst public transportation systems going. Buses tend to not run on schedule, and the subway only goes to the South Hills, with a few random spots in Downtown to pick up people. I would also recommend checking out google maps to clear up any confusion from the Port Authority site:

http://maps.google.com/

It can give you transit directions, which I find to be more helpful than PAT usually.

Good luck!!

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
781 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Public Transportation

The bus and subway are indeed free within the downtown zone. PAT does not sell one-day or two-day passes.

Pittsburgh's downtown area is compact, so you may find that most of the downtown attractions (e.g., the history center) are within walking distance.

The "T" light-rail system serves one of the inclines.

Bus service from downtown to Pittsburgh's Oakland neighborhood (University of Pittsburgh, Carnegie Museum of Natural History, Carnegie Museum of Art, Phipps Conservatory) is frequent and convenient.

Las Vegas, New...
Level Contributor
273 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Public Transportation

OK then. No subway passes. That's OK then..

Regarding the bus and subway are free within the downtown zone:

Does that mean I can start from either of the two hotels and go to the places I have mentioned above- all without public transit charges ??

Secondly, if I CANNOT go to all of these places without charge, then which places will I have to pay for to get there? Will I buy a single- fare one way for that trip then? (single- fare X2 actually because of to and fro)

Will "T" light rail *(subway) get me to ALL of the above mentioned places, or will I need to ride a bus?

Are there any of my attractions/ places listed that are so inconvenient for traveling with bus and subway that I might as well just drive there?

Lastly, how far away are BOTH of these hotels from the nearest "T" station and bus stop? (bust stop, not bus station though)

Thanks for the help!

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
781 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Public Transportation

The downtown zone is essentially limited to what is known as the Golden Triangle (roughly bounded by the Crosstown Expressway, the Monongahela River nd the Allegheny River). Of the attractions you listed, the Fort Pitt Museum is within the downtown zone and the Heinz History Center is on its border. Buses would be of some use for getting you part of the way from the Pittsburgh Marriott City Center to the Fort Pitt Museum, but would be less useful for getting from either hotel to the Pittsburgh History Center. The walk would be less than a mile, though.

The "Just Ducky Tour" and the lower station of the Monongahela Incline are near Station Square. You would pay a fare to take the "T" from Downtown

I believe the Double Decker Red Bus tours start at the South Side Works. If so, you would take the 48 Arlington bus from downtown.

www.portauthority.org/paac/apps/pdfs/48.pdf

The Renaissance Pittsburgh is about three blocks from the Wood Street "T" station. The Pittsburgh Marriott City Center is about three blocks from the Steel Plaza "T" station. Bus stops are a block or two from each hotel.

The Port Authority website has a trip planner:

http://portauthority.org/paac/default.aspx

Either of the hotels is walking distance from a number of restaurants.

I'm not sure what the PGN Center is.

Bethel Park, PA
Level Contributor
557 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Public Transportation

You pay getting ON to the bus/trolley when you are heading to the city and you pay getting OFF when heading out of the city. Either way, if you think you will only be spending 3 hrs. or less at your destination, ask for a "transfer" which is only an additional 75 cents and is good for anywhere in a zone 1. Also, fares cost more if you travel during rush hour. This probably won't pertain to you, but ALL transit is free if you show your Medicare card.

Pittsburgh, PA
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Public Transportation

Transfers now cost $1.

Bethel Park, PA
Level Contributor
557 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Public Transportation

Oops, sorry. You can see how long I have been riding for free.

9. Re: Public Transportation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 June 2013, 10:44