We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Top 3 hotels in the City?

Which Pittsburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
137 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Top 3 hotels in the City?

I did read the reviews and I was wondering if the OMNI

was a good option. I usually like the Omni hotels but if

there is something better located close to shops and dining

then I would love to know. Safe location is always important

to me. Nice size rooms and view would be ideal!Thank you!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
1,138 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Top 3 hotels in the City?

The Omni is a grand classic hotel, much like the Palmer House(seeing that you are from Chicago). The Renaissance, the new Fairmont and the Wyndham are also top notch hotels. The last three are probably closer to a lot of dining options.... but downtown Pittsburgh is so compact you are rarely more than four or five blocks from anything, and there are cabs. Just remember that in Pittsburgh you must get a cab at a hotel or always hard to locate designated taxi stand.... unlike the rest of the world when you can hail them on the street.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
137 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Top 3 hotels in the City?

Is the Omni a little away from dining options. Someone

also told me about the SpringHill Suites south downtown/

They were the same price as the Omni. Are they nice too?

I do appreciate your response. Don't want to make a

mistake...thank you!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
1,138 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Top 3 hotels in the City?

If the Spring Hil Suites you are looking at is the one on Federal Street, then it is right behind PNC Park. There are a few places to eat nearby - Atria's at PNC Park being probably the best --- or you could just walk across the bridge and find a number of choices within a two/three block area.

The William Penn may be in a slightly quieter area (though the Carlton and the Common Plea - both fine restaurants are close by) , but the William Penn is in a whole different league compared to a Spring Hill Suites,

Personally, I'd opt for the William Penn. (BTW you may want to refer to the hotel by that name as the ownership has gone back and forth over the years and it is always referred to as the William Penn - ask for the Omni and most Pittsburghers will look at you with a blank stare LOL)

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
76 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Top 3 hotels in the City?

The top 3 hotels are.. 1. Fairmont, 2. Renaissance, 3. Toss-up maybe William Penn, maybe Westin Conventiom center.

It is not the Wyndham, which has been under construction for about 5 years through numerous foreclosures and is only recently branded a Wyndham.

The Fairmont is far and away the best. Their restaurant Habitat is fantastic, and it's close to a rejuvenated Market Square, and the Penn Ave cultural district which is where you'll find a number of really good restaurants.

The William Penn is a little old school, and I wouldn't suggest the Carlton or the Common plea, or under no circumstances the Terrace Room in the William Penn. it's not quite as convenient as the Fairmont, Renaissance and Westin convention center to Penn ave, and where you will find most of the downtown activity once the sun goes down.

Another hotel, while a level down, worth considering is the downtown Courtyard by Marriott, on Penn Ave. Its a renovated old office building with some character and fairly new. The restaurant downstairs, Sonoma, is good as well.

5. Re: Top 3 hotels in the City?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 04:40