We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rib Fest at Heinz Field

Oak Ridge, New...
Level Contributor
37 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Rib Fest at Heinz Field

Hi. We are ending our cross country trip by spending Labor Day Weekend in Pittsburgh. I saw information on Rib Fest in Heinz field for previous years, but I cannot find any info for 2012. Does anyone know if it will be taking place this year? Sounds like fun.

Mentioned in this post
Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
Heinz Field
Heinz Field
1,850 Reviews
Pittsburgh, PA
Private Pittsburgh City Tour
83 Reviews
from US$75.00*
Free Cancellation
90 MINUTE SIGHTSEEING TROLLEY TOUR
from US$25.00*
Free Cancellation
Central PA
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rib Fest at Heinz Field

Southparkrib.com is Labor day weekend

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
418 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rib Fest at Heinz Field

Hi,

The Annual Coors Light Kickoff and Rib Festival at Heinz Field is scheduled over Labor Day Weekend (August 30- September 3, 2012). It usually features a mix of local and national talent, but the entertainment schedule has not yet been posted. Check back on the Steelers website or PA Vendors.com for more information.

Mentioned in this post
Heinz Field
Heinz Field
1,850 Reviews
Pittsburgh, PA
Oak Ridge, New...
Level Contributor
37 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rib Fest at Heinz Field

Thanks for the info. I will keep checking those websites for updates. Tough decision: which rib fest to go to. If it were up to my husband, we would go to both.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
418 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rib Fest at Heinz Field

Can be done! We've done it many years now, usually going to one on Saturday and the other on Monday (with a day of meager meals in between).

We usually decide which day to go where based upon the concert schedules, but we also keep an eye on the weather forecast. South Park is very much an outdoor venue, but they do have the Fairgrounds Market House in case you need to duck in out of the rain. We take a lightweight sheet in a totebag to both places because you may want to sit on the ground, under a nice shady tree, at some point during the day if it is sunny .

I think I marginally prefer the Heinz Field Kickoff Ribfest due to the whole Steelers connection, and being by the riverside. But, honestly, we enjoy both events.

Mentioned in this post
South Park
South Park
71 Reviews
South Park Township, PA
Heinz Field
Heinz Field
1,850 Reviews
Pittsburgh, PA
Oak Ridge, New...
Level Contributor
37 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rib Fest at Heinz Field

I am sure that if this wasn't our first time visiting Pittsburgh, we would do both, but there is soooooo much to see and do! The lightweight sheet is a good idea.

We are staying at the Hampton Inn on Smallman St, which seems to be in a good location for walking and public transportation. Would you recommend the On and Off busses? I always get a kick out of watching the people on the double decker busses in Manhatten.

Mentioned in this post
Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
418 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rib Fest at Heinz Field

The busses are ok if you want to go that route. Of course, the "T" is free all over downtown and to Heinz Field on the Northshore. You would only have to pay to go across the Allegheny River to Station Square and beyond.

If you are good walkers, though, Pittsburgh is very compact from the Strip (where your hotel is located), to the Northshore (where the Stadiums are located), to Station Square (where the boats and Inclines board). Don't think I would pay for the tour bus.

BTW: I'm very partial to the Hampton Inn- great location and great value, too. Don't miss the "Innovation Pittsburgh" exhibit at the Heinz History Center, right across the street. Have a great visit!

Mentioned in this post
Heinz Field
Heinz Field
1,850 Reviews
Pittsburgh, PA
Station Square
Station Square
348 Reviews
Pittsburgh, PA
Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
Oak Ridge, New...
Level Contributor
37 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rib Fest at Heinz Field

Thank you so much for your advice. We will opt for walking and taking the "T" so we will have more cash for some great ribs.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
418 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rib Fest at Heinz Field

FYI: I called the Steelers Office this morning because others have been asking about the 2012 Kickoff Ribfest at Heinz Field. They confirmed the above dates, and said they are still compiling entertainment info for their website. Info should be posted soon. I suggested they should probably at least get the dates up so that people can begin to make their travel plans.

Mentioned in this post
Heinz Field
Heinz Field
1,850 Reviews
Pittsburgh, PA
Oak Ridge, New...
Level Contributor
37 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rib Fest at Heinz Field

Good news. We are looking forward to it. I'll keep checking the website.

Thanks.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
391 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Rib Fest at Heinz Field

I have wanted to go for years but I have not been sure how it works. Is there an entrance fee then you eat what you want or is it just a bunch of rib selling people and you just buy them directly from the vendors. I have always figured I couldnt afford to go so I never did.